Audio and video disappeared...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sluthy

Solid State Member
Hey, I just signed up here. First impression, this place looks pretty helpful compared to other sites I've been to. I've posted the following problem on the Atomic (australian) forum nearly two weeks ago, no response. On a MySpace forum, two responses after bumping the thread up, both of which had no idea but one directed me here for help. So here goes...

My WinXP comp has standard onboard audio and a Powercolor 9600XT Bravo. I've got the TV hooked up to the S-Video-out and watch videos through WMP in Theater Mode on the TV (Quicktime seems oblivious to it's presence). Occasionally, some videos wouldn't work with Theater Mode, and revert back to simple screen mirroring, then back again.

Until a month or so ago, the videos stayed on the screen in normal mode the whole time. But suddenly, with no intentional changes from me (I think I was in Brissie at the time), the video would disappear from the screen when Theater Mode begins. The videos where Theater Mode stops working is the only time video appears on the screen. Thumbnails in Windows Explorer and Quicktime are unaffected.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? It's a pain to turn on the TV to watch anything. I'm using the latest Catalyst control centre drivers and everything I think.

Next problem. My audio has worked fine until two days ago (other than the mic-in having unacceptable levels of noise). Wanting to get a decent guitar recording, I tried plugging in my iMic (USB audio interface) to get a cleaner line-in, and keep the audio-out from the onboard (C-Media Wave Device). I plugged it in, all of a sudden all my in/out settings defaulted to the iMic and all went silent (obviously, mo speakers were plugged in to the iMic-out). I managed to set the Sound Playback back through C-Media, but nothing came out. Worried, I unplugged the iMic and everything defaulted back to the C-Media, but still no sound. Uh-oh. What now? All the settings I can see are back to pre-iMic, but still nothing coming out of the Line-out. Help!! Any more info needed, just ask.

I know it's old, but I'm still puzzled. I just fixed the video problem, just updated the Catalyst drivers and everything and it's all good. But audio's still a problem.

It's a software problem as there is a signal going to the speakers (muting/unmuting line/mic inputs, you can hear the different in signal noise, so there is output). And sound works in Linux (quiet, but it's there). Therefore it's not a motherboard BIOS issue, so I'm thinking Windows. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom