Greasy Topic (Thermal Paste)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rzermatt

Baseband Member
Hi everyone,

Uhh, I had a question about Thermal Paste. I was wondering what is the best kind to get. I have a 3.4ghz, and i want to cool the nort and south bridge chips and an Nvidia 6800GT. What paste is good? and how much do i buy?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, is Artic Silver any good?

Arctic Silver 5 <--- Thats the 3.5 g tube. They make a 12 g tube also.

35-100-007-01.JPG

how much grease should i put on each component? --> i want to cool mainly my CPU and video card. CPU is 3.4ghz Intel lga775. Video card is leadtek 6800gt. ANy idea? any good video coolers or CPU coolers that are reasonably priced? tnx.

for artic silver u usually wanna put a dot as big as around 2 of these :) :) smily faces put together.

Arctic Silver 5 is by far the best Thermal Material you can use for heat dissipation.

CPU - Less than a grain of rice - evenly spread out over the CPU DIE
VGA Core - same amount
VGA RAM - thermal tape with heatsinks & thermal paste with large VGA coolers.
Chipset - I don't recommend using thermal paste instead use thermal tape with heat sinks.

is it ok. to just peel off the sticky stuff on the heatsink and put it on. or am i supposed to put some thermal something inbetween?

PZEROFGH said:
is it ok. to just peel off the sticky stuff on the heatsink and put it on. or am i supposed to put some thermal something inbetween?

The reason i'd recommend Thermal Tape over Thermal Paste for both VGA ram & Chipsets is due to the nature of their location on the boards.

Thermal Paste like (ARCTIC SILVER) has a very high "silver" content. "Silver" is fairly conductive. Not something you'd want bridging parts of your boards. Even if you use a little paste, there is a chance that some may ooze out drip onto unwanted places. That's why i'd recommend thermal tape for those areas.

CPU's are installed on a socket. Which is slightly elevated off of the surface of the mobo. VGA Cores are mostly the same way, but not all.

I'm not saying it can't be done... it can... But, i wouldn't recommend it.

It's like saying, "Can I wash my hair with dishwashing soap?"
Sure you can, but wouldn't shampoo be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom