ATTN: All Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB owners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovesocks

In Runtime
I have a Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb (as you might have guessed) made directly by ATi, and the stock fan is pretty small, fast, and loud, and I'm guessing the HS isn't so good either since it seems to be pure aluminum.

What's a good, quiet cooling system? (with these criteria:)

The thing's in an Antec Aria case, so there's no room for Zalman's fanless thingie, or I'd definitely get that. I don't think there's room for any of Zalman's semicircle jiggers, unless I took out my turbine blower.

I was looking into Arctic Cooling's ATI Silencers, but there doesn't seem to be one meant specifically for the 9800 Pro 128mb. There's the generic Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer, but I dunno how good it is.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

i suggest you buy a new case. The heatsinks don't make all the difference in your cooling. Your case plays a pretty big role; if you have some small little case with everything crammed in, then its going to heat up pretty quickly and heat up all your parts, so buying a new heatsink may help somewat but its not going to help much when its just blowing a bunch of hot air onto the card, try investing in a new case with good airflow, then look into a new heatsink later for your card if you feel it still needs one.

Thanks for the advice, but I'd like to stick to the Aria. I'm more concerned with noise level, actually. I guess I wasn't quite clear about that. Anyway, there's going to be plenty of airflow because I'm modding the case to add a 120mm fan sucking air in right next to the CPU, and there's already a blower in there.

So any suggestions for a quiet hs/fan replacement for a 9800 pro 128mb that works at least as well as stock?

Thanks again!

i have a 9800pro, just added a new heatsink on it. tough to get those springy plastic things off, broke it my first time. RMAed it. it works pretty well. got it modded to a 9800XT. woot woot R360

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118117

barely can hear it. theres two options. the black plug or the white one. the white one is like quiet mode. or i think "silent" mode. the black is for OCers. or "overclocking" mode<---named it myself.

charles_scott said:
Overclocked, there are several good heatsinks that make a 10c-20c temp differnce between stock

Oh i know there are, i got custom cooling myself but they will not be near as effective if you stick it in a case that heats up really quick and its all crammed. You won't have good airflow, the heatsinks still need to be in a decent air cooled enviroment or they will just heat up and have no cool air to cool them off.

Why do you think people who like to o.c to the max and bench do it when its really cool out, because the air that the fans are blowing onto the heatsink plays a big role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom