Not open for further replies.

play2lose

In Runtime
AMD 64 or Pentium 4?

I wanna get the fastest computer possible for about 700

should I go with the Pentium 4 512 K 2.6 GHz with HT

or

the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 512 K

(I think I should go with the 64 but im not sure)

I'd go with whatever you can get at a good price. Both are good CPUs.

Out of those two CPUs mentioned, I believe the AMD is fastest.

I would wait - AMD is gonna redo the 64k chips because they are buggier than amd wants them to be. I would wait but from what i have heard amd beats p4 in a benchmark but not by much so no matter what you go with your gonna be ok.

Wait nothing! Go for the AMD 64 3000+. It's first rate and very affordable. It will SMOKE the 2.6. For that matter, it keeps up with Intels 3.2 on some of the bench marks.

As for as a mobo, go for the MSI or the ASUS. From what I've read, the MSI is a little more stable than ASUS, which I found surprising. My cousin just slapped a 3000+ w/ MSI together and damn, it's the fastest rig I've ever seen.

Plus, if you go with the 3000+, you can load Windows 64 in a few months. Welcome to a whole new experience!

awsome....will this be a good system???

ASUS K8V Deluxe Via-K8T800 MOBO
Green Raidmax Scorpio Mid-Tower Case 350 W
Blue Neon Light (Just for looks, but looks awsome)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU w/Hyper Transport Technology
Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink + 2 extra case fans
256 DDR-400 PC 3200 Memory
80 GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA-100 Hard Drive 8MB Cache Buffer
8x ATI Radeon 9200 128MB DDR w/DVI + TV Out
52x24x52 CDRW Drive
and mouse and crap for $722

(does anyone know where I can get this or better cheaper)

If I were you, I'd upgrade the video card and RAM. If this puts to much burden on your budget, then down grade the CPU/Mobo.

Go with the AMD 2500+ and an Asus board. This combo will be about the same amout as the 64bit 3000+ alone.

Upgrade to at least 512 RAM. The PC3200 is good. Check the recommended brand of RAM to use in the mobo.

Also upgrade to at least a 9600xt. If you can swing a 9700Pro - 9800xt, that'd be even better.

Finally, get yourself a good heat sink/fan to keep the CPU cool.

Check out www.newegg.com for all your computer needs. It's a great site and very easy to navigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom