CD Burner dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

static244

Solid State Member
I was trying to burn a cd with Nero, it failed, froze the computer and now it won't read anything. I've reinstalled the driver, updated the driver, unhooked the drive completely and the computer thinks nothing is wrong, it shows up in the device manager without any problems or error messages. I read in another post that the laser might be fried, please tell me this isn't the case. If it is, cd drives in general just suck, this will be the 3rd cd drive to die on me in less than 2 years.

What could be causing my cd drives to work fine for a little while and then die spontaneously? They only undergo normal use.

Could keeping a cd in the drive for a long time be ruining them?

So far i've had 2 samsung drives and a lite-on curently.

:(

All things being equal, if you did nothing......added nothing...no new software or other devices you can bet the the CDRW is toast. If you have an old standard CDrom laying around just stick that in an see if the system recognizes the CDrom or borrow one from a friends computer to do the above test. If your mobo continues not to recognize the drive I would try to update your mobo's bios or reinstall the bios. The other option is to stick your current CDRW into a friends or another computer to see if it will data read and write. 3 CDRW's in 2 years? I would suggest you consider putting in a new power supply.....you may be frying them due to under voltage/amperage damage. ????? just a guess without your puter sitting on my bench.

I don't think its undervoltage i have an antec true 550 and not too much extreme hardware. I'l have to test it later, time for class.

bradybnmci said:
I/O is dead.
Time for a new one.

I kept frying hard drive last spring and summer. it was the mobo (a msi one). when I put the drives on a raid card in the PCI slot, they were fine. when I put them on the regular ide slots, they would die after a few month of usage.

Buying a new mobo, this january made that problem disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom