Ram upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic

Daemon Poster
Hey folks, i currently have 1024mb of PC2700 RAM in my PC (2 X 512mb) and i'm just wondering about the performance increase i would gain from upgrading to 1.5gb of PC3200 RAM.

you also need to check to make sure that your MOBO will suppor the 3200 RAM instead of the 2700.

Im not really sure that a mix of the 2700 and 3200 RAM will work to be honest.

bradybnmci said:
you also need to check to make sure that your MOBO will suppor the 3200 RAM instead of the 2700.

Im not really sure that a mix of the 2700 and 3200 RAM will work to be honest.

I am not planning on mixing the two.....

I said i would upgrade to 1.5gb of PC3200 RAM (meaning, getting rid of the old RAM)

And yes, my mobo supports PC3200. I'm thinking whether the performance increase in games would be worth it..... ?

Diabetic said:
I am not planning on mixing the two.....

I said i would upgrade to 1.5gb of PC3200 RAM (meaning, getting rid of the old RAM)

And yes, my mobo supports PC3200. I'm thinking whether the performance increase in games would be worth it..... ?

If you have a good video card with a decent amt of RAM, another 512MB of ram won't make a huge difference IMO. 1GB of RAM is plenty to run most games, if your having performance issues, it's probably something else.

I would use the $ your going to spend on RAM and upgrade your video card, or keep saving and upgrade your processor (if your mobo supports it)

He will see little performance gain from the additional 512MB but he'll see a huge increase in memory bandwidth since his RAM speed is currently bottlenecking his CPU/RAM link

Of course, your current configuration isn't using the RAM speed it was built for, so instead of getting the max 6.4GB/sec HTT bandwidth you are getting 5.4GB/sec max memory bandwidth...so you're basically looking at around 20% performance increase from that alone

You will notice overall improvements in RAM intensive games like HL2, BF2, and fear whenever it comes out, and any intensive rendering or editing will see a performance boost

What socket are you first?

If you are running in Dual Channel now, and you switch to 3x 512 in single channel it's a huge peformance DECREASE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom