Hardware Issue, is it PS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hey All,

Two times in the past 2 weeks my PC has made a clicking sound like when I first turn it on and starts to sound like it's going to shut down, but does not. This usually happens shortly after I turn it on (within 15-20 mins). What could this mean? Is this a sign the Power Supply may be dying? Any ideas would be appreciated, if it sounds like a PSU I'll order another one.

Once you said when you first turn it on, then you said after 15 minutes, which is it?

If it's when you first turn it on, see if your boot order is set to boot from the floppy first. When my PC is set to boot from floppy, and no floppy is in there, it makes a loud clicking sound, even after it's found the correct boot device.

Bleh, I butchered my own post. How it was meant to be said....

When I turn on my PC it always makes a clicking sound, fans coming on, hard disk firing etc. But only when I turn it on. NOW, in the past 2 weeks, I have booted up my PC and sometime within 5-10 minutes of being powered on it makes the clicking sound again. It literally sounds like it's losing power or going to restart or something. I don't know any better way to explain it :/ Everything runs fine, I have a battery backup so it's not a power surge or anything like that. The APC Powerchute software reports not electrical noise or power surges.

It actually may be the hard disk making the click.. Should I be finding myself a new one? :)

Also, are there any good programs to completely backup a hard disk inclusing the boot sector so I can back up my primary and replace it?

Norton Ghost. I would buy yourself a new HD and then put it in as a slave and then ghost your current configuration and os to the new drive. REmove the master (bad) drive and configure it as a slave. Boot to your new HD. I would then do some serious HD testing on the old drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom