leaving the computer on all day - power consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
man I had like 400w high pressure sodium lightbulbs and another 200w or so metal hallide bulbs (ehh dont ask me what I used them for Some people might know)
teehehehehe

I too am an energy whore, although in the winter I don't need heat in my room as the electronics act as space warmers and I usually end up opening the window since it gets so hot

Nubius said:
man I had like 400w high pressure sodium lightbulbs and another 200w or so metal hallide bulbs (ehh dont ask me what I used them for :p Some people might know)

and our electric bill was $100 or a tad below in our apartment...NONE of the lightbulbs were energy saving, AC would be on, TV, amps for the guitars crap like that.

Dude, wtf? That is very cheap for all that you don't conserve. I leave only 1 light on only in the apartment at all times with the a/c at 78. Something is wrong ove rhere.

And those low energy bulbs are much more $$ than incandescent.

Chankama said:
I belive the "reason" was discussed a couple threads above man. Thermal expansion issues.

But this is just plain silly. Maybe it's different for those with phase change or water cooling or huge overclocks, but for the average computer turning it on and off every day won't hurt it. The components are designed to take the stress of power cycles anyway.

Nubius said:
man I had like 400w high pressure sodium lightbulbs and another 200w or so metal hallide bulbs (ehh dont ask me what I used them for :p Some people might know)

and our electric bill was $100 or a tad below in our apartment...NONE of the lightbulbs were energy saving, AC would be on, TV, amps for the guitars crap like that.

*cough GROW UP *cough.

Most figures here are very overrated. computer on _IDLE_ state consumes 30-60 watts. Unless you have some stupid o/s like Win98, that doesn't know to send HALT command to processor when not in use.

For example, my P4-1700mhz draws ~4.5A on 5v bus, ~3A on 3.3v bus, and 1.5A on 12v bus (i measuree that when trying to identify the psu problem i had).

ok, so its even less at idle then... something is seriously tearing the electricity out of a socket somewhere

I my place where i live there are numerous cases, when people are stealing electricity from other people. It is old building and have some semi-hidden plugs (for service use).
In case you have electricity counter ( i guess you do) outside your flat - just unplug _EVERYTHING_ including fridge. It shoud stand still and not move. Than you can plug each device one at a time. And see the consumption. Average size fridge is 500-700 watts (it activates about half time - so it is like 250-350w constant consumption) - there is no point trying to save power turning off the computer just because of the fridge, Even more , if you have other devices w/ constant consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom