File '~'

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomW

In Runtime
I have this thing that keeps coming back on our new PC. It keeps coming back on desktop and on the hard drive. It just has a ~ mark by it and it won't tell me what it is. I have deleated it off the hard drive and desktop many times but keeps coming back. I think it showed up after downloading a driver for something. Any Ideas anyone? sorry if wrong forum for this. TomW

run Spybot or Adaware to check to see if its spyware

does it appear when you open a document off the desktop?
if so it is probely the working copy of the file they usually have ~partialfilename.fileextension

It shows up as a shortcut on desktop and in the hard drive as a file when ever the PC is rebooted. If its deleted off the hard drive why does it keep coming back?

I don't have anything to scan for those with. All I have is up to date norton 2002.

is it in the C: drive? Is the file just "~"? There is nothing like that at Symantic about a virus. Is your Norton anti-virus active?

Definatly get Adaware. You can get it at Cnet.com, or this site, http://www.answersthatwork.com/home_page.htm, great place to find stuff. Got to libraries at the site, under downloads, internet access. Also get Zone alarm, if you don't want to pay for a firewall. Works just fine. Haven't had a problem in the 2 years I have had it. Also, Popup Blocker. All 3 should have free versions.

Tight click on the file and see what its properties are.

I too, get that exact file ~ every now and then on my desktop. Don't know what it is, but have scanned it with everything possible.

I just delete it, whenever it appears back on my desktop page.

I get that every once in a while. I remember reading somewhere that it had to do with Oulook Express. I did a quick check online to find out, but struck out.

If I remember right it had something to do with Outlook Express creating a temp file that was just a "~" when a new entry was added to the address book. It's also kinda harmless.

Don't take this as the final word. I read this months ago and can't remember the complete details.

Viken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom