reformatting Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a second. I almost made a stupid. I dont yet have 2000, so I cant put it on yet. So what do I do with it?

Are you able to back up files to a cdrom? That would be your best bet. Or, another option, is to not worry about grpahics or sound drivers until after you load Win2k, you can always go to the sites after you install the OS. Just make sure you have the proper ethernet drivers so you can connect out.

I tried to boot from the a drive but it won't see it. It is set properly in the bios, so I don't think that is an issue. It will just load like it normally does. I found the boot disk that came with the system, no luck, I tried to make a bootable disk from the site you mentioned, but I can't even do that. It seems something is wrong with the a drive maybe. Even if I go to my computer and try to highlight the a drive icon, my system will freeze????????
Not sure what to do now?

I just tried another program to create a bootable disk with no success.
I get an error messege that reads
disk error on track 0, head 0
Floppy error

I am currently reformatting the comp as well. I am just gonna put Win 98 back in there. It should hold me til I get a Mac. Anyway I am having trouble. I will tell you what I've done so far.

I restarted the computer in MS-DOS mode an the command prompt C:\\Windows> came up. I typed in CD\ and then it presented me with this: C:\>

I typed format c: /s after it and hit enter. It asked me if I wanted to reformat my harddrive so I said yes. It asked me to name my drive so I just hit enter to keep its default name. After that I turned off the computer.

I put the boot disk and the Windows 98 disc in. I started the comp with CD-ROM support. Then I came to a screen telling me that I already have it installed on my system. It gave me two options.

1. Exit set up and boot through the hard drive or

2. Continue with set up anyway.

I chose two but it wont let me. When I start the comp without either the floppy or the CD in there this text comes up:

Microsoft (R) Windows 98
(C) Copyright Microsoft Corp 1989-1999

C:\>

What do I do here? I cant seem to figure it out.

It's just telling me that its a bad command or file name

EDIT: I think I have it now. I'm using the recovery disc to refresh my OS at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom