INTEL over AMD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will get to the clock cycles, im really suprised that no one has chimed in yet to explain in depth what im getting towards.

Athlon 64
System Bus Technology HyperTransport™ technology up to 2000MHz
Full duplex

Intel
Front Side Bus @ 800 MHz,
Half duplex

Athlon 64
Integrated DDR Memory Controller (MCT) 64-bit + 8-bit ECC
PC3200, PC 2700, PC 2100, or PC1600 128-bit + 16-bit ECC
unbuffered PC3200, PC 2700,
PC 2100, or PC1600

Intel
No,
Discrete logic device on motherboard

Athlon 64
Integrated Northbridge Yes,
128-bit data path @ CPU core frequency

Intel
No,
Discrete logic device on motherboard,
64-bit data path @ 200MHz

I dont know if i have the energy to filter through some of this right now, its 1:20 and i have class at 10, so i may just go to bed. If i do, ill be sure to pick up where i left off tomorrow.

AMD still believes very much in the capability of the CPU to process work and an efficient CPU at lower clock speeds can still do the same amount of work as compared to one that operates at higher clock speeds.

the Athlon 64 core and owes much of its success to its shorter pipeline, which allows it to do more work per clock cycle.

its integrated dual-channel memory controller and the built-in HyperTransport link that reduces the I/O latency of the processor.

If you dont know what I/O they are talking about, or the role it plays, you should read up. I/O addresses are numbers assigned to hardware devices that software uses to send a command to a device. Obviously on the address bus. Plays a pretty big part.

Intel clearly derived its 64-bit architecture by reading AMD's pre-release documentation for AMD64 and by testing AMD64 processors," Tom Halfhill, a senior editor with In-Stat/MDR's Microprocessor Report said in a statement.

Memory-addressing schemes and many other architectural features, such as data-addressing modes, context-switching behavior, interrupt handling, and support for existing 16- and 32-bit x86 execution modes were also compared. In every case, Intel had patterned its 64-bit x86 architecture after AMD64 in almost every detail.

This to me is marginaly hilarious. I could go on for hours....but i wont right now. Maybe later.

I would love an Intel fan to come in here and put me in my place, but you better know your stuff......

01001010 01101111 01100101 01101100

01100001 01101011 01100001

01110011 0100001101110010 01101001 01100010 01100101 01110011

yaY!! numbers are fun!!

sCribes said:
I will get to the clock cycles, im really suprised that no one has chimed in yet to explain in depth what im getting towards.

Athlon 64
System Bus Technology HyperTransport™ technology up to 2000MHz
Full duplex

Got any ram to take advantage of that bus????????????

amd64s memory controller easily makes up for the fact of still using even PC3200 RAM muchless when one starts to overclock compared to intels inefficient DDR2 loose timings RAM (when on most systems people dont even have it running 1:1 and therefore even LESS efficient) and of course the northbridge

AMD is by far better for gaming, although Intel does a decent job at it. That is why I always recommend AMD for gaming systems. However, I do like Intel Centrino laptops, and would prefer it to the Athlon 64 in a non-gaming laptop.

i agree beedubaya, centrino laptops are quite nice, and they've got the best CPU's Intel have ever made. And AMD is better for gaming, but its not as if with an AMD you would get 100fps in a game and with the equivalent Intel 50fps. the difference isn't that big.

One reason i prefer AMD over intel is because the route they've taken seems far more logical than the route Intel have. Don't get me wrong, i will buy an Intel one day, just not atm when I'm only 16 and struggle to keep 1 computer up to date, muchless another.

beedubaya said:
AMD is by far better for gaming, although Intel does a decent job at it. That is why I always recommend AMD for gaming systems. However, I do like Intel Centrino laptops, and would prefer it to the Athlon 64 in a non-gaming laptop.

I was the same way, but now we have our Turion Processors :)

uzi9mm said:
Got any ram to take advantage of that bus????????????

Kind of a stupid question. Your on the tech-forums, its pretty obvious isnt it.

How about this for thought.

Total processor to system bandwidth

AMD
HyperTransport: up to 8.0 GB/s
Memory bandwidth: up to 6.4 GB/s
Total: up to 14.4 GB/s

Intel
Total: up to 6.4 GB/s

some of these are just hard facts from manus webpages.

I believe that amd is a smarter company, they arent trying to just reach the highest frequency, but to take advantage of the clock cycles by doing more than one thing per cycle.

It seems anyone can turn up the frequency.

Another point i see is, Intel does alot (ALOT) of advertising for its industry, AMD doesnt, yet they seem to stay toe to toe. Why, i believe its because AMD's products speak for themselves through the community. Where as intel....well doesnt really, they rely on advertising to people that dont research what they buy, and pay to much, for something under powered. Hate me if you will, but thats how i see it.

However, I do like Intel Centrino laptops, and would prefer it to the Athlon 64 in a non-gaming laptop.
Shoot, even in a gaming laptop... The Dothan is the best gaming chip on the market clock for clock...

wow sCribes, nice to have another person here to actually know what they're talking about...you are a dying breed here

I've been reading for a while now that Intel wanted to start using the LDT technology after seeing AMDs success, I don't know if or when that will be though. I do remember them believing it was doomed to fail since an entire architecture revision had to be made to switch things like memory interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom