P4 3.0 Prescott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeuskotg

Baseband Member
I have OC'ed my P4 3.0 @ 3.4 currently via by upping the FSB to 920(linking to memory as well), I have monitored my temp. at full cpu load it never broke past 51C on the Stock cooler. I was wondering do you think it is wise to OC to maybe 3.5-3.8? I also have another HSF that I bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835150056 . I also currently have AS5 on the cpu, I was wondering if I could go higher do you think I should use my other HSF or keep the stock Intel one. I noticed that the stock speed for the intel HSF is 2100 RPM while the Masscool one is 2400RPM.

first off you fsb is nowhere near 920mhz if it was youd have to have a multiplyer of 4 which isnt possible and your ram would have to be that speed as well.
secondly that hsf you bought is pretty much identical to the stock intel one...
if i were you i wouldve spent the extra money and gotten a zalman 7700alcu

Well I did spend the extra money for the Zalman AlCu HSF. I did not fit so I put it in my other case. I am very please with it on the other computer and so I decided to go with the most generic in this case. You still didn't answer the question at hand. Also all I know that whatever I did, my cpu is now clocked @ 3.4 at 910 FSB(about 227 FSB) according to CMOS. Maybe I should have also put first time OC'er for CPU/Memory. Here is the memory cas stuff 4-4-4-12 266MHz(stock @200MHz 3-3-3-9. I think the last number is a bit high not sure.

When I OC' am I going to have to bump up my voltage core up to the next setting to help compensate for the power consumption?

you will know if you have to bump up the vcore if it becomes unstable, if it becomes unstable then yes you need to bump up the Vcore. I would recommend you spend money on buying a new case. Seems you got all your stuff crammed in there if a zalman heatsink wont even fit in it. The smaller the case, the hotter ur cpu will run because theres so much heat build up in a small space and unless you got really powerful fans pushin out the hot air, that will make your cpu temps go up.

The case is fine, it is a decent sized Midtower, just that the Zalman rubs up agains the PSU and the chipset HSF and will not seat properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom