amd issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

inatey

In Runtime
my firend got an amd a while ago and he has had probs with is eversince... i went ovet to his house and was looking at the bios and the chip was idleing at 75deg C... that is way to hot.... so i instaled motherboard monitous for him and it sayd the same thing... but it also said that the cpu was clocked at only 1.1 ghz... he has and amd 2800+ that caind be right can it??? help!!

Your friend may want to check his HeatSink and HS fan, to make sure it's seated properly. Also make sure you use thermal compound between the cpu and HeatSink (or at the very least a thermal pad).

If you apply too much thermal compound, it can actually hamper heat transfer to the HS/Fan, so make sure you read the directions on the manufacturers site. Arctic Silver makes good thermal compounds.

i would get that heat proble fixed first. that overheating could be the cause of your processor being underclocked to only 1.1. take off heatsink, reapply thermal paste. make sure the heatsink is mounted flush on the processor and isn't wedged up. make sure your heatsink fan is spinning

i did what u guys said took of the hsf and put it back on straight then changed the fsb to 166 and it is all woking fine now thanks!

Heat Sink.....

It is one of those AMD Box CPU Heat Sinks, do not use it as they are IMO poor quality.

Get yourself a thermotake volcano 11 heat seek. I just installed one on my AMD Athlon 1700, and on the low setting, the temp is a nice 27c (as appose to my last heat sink which was keeping things about 55c)

inatey said:
i did what u guys said took of the hsf and put it back on straight then changed the fsb to 166 and it is all woking fine now thanks!

Glad that problem was fixed. It's important to have the best contact you can between cpu and HS/Fan, to facilitate heat transfer and dissipation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom