Is this Legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
waynejkruse10 said:
just download a ISO of the internet or burn a friends copy and use the legit cd key. That is actually allowed.

That is illegal unless you pay for a new CD key..simply by using a "legit" cd key doesnt make it legal. There is a fine distinction between "legit" and "legal". If you use a corp cd key you got from a friend sure it will work..you will have no problems..you will be able to get updates..but its not legal.

The only way it could be legal is if you aqcuired a cd key that was never used then that would be legal. As for the corporate versions you can always use them for the designated enterprise legally..so installing it at home machine for home use would be illegal.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Snump, read the beginning of my post. According to what I've seen and read it will NOT work. I've not tested this, but the sources I've read state OEM for OEM and retail for retail.

killians45 said:
Snump, read the beginning of my post. According to what I've seen and read it will NOT work. I've not tested this, but the sources I've read state OEM for OEM and retail for retail.

How can these people sell it then? They say it will work on any PC... I dunno.

Win2kpatcher said:
That is illegal unless you pay for a new CD key..simply by using a "legit" cd key doesnt make it legal. There is a fine distinction between "legit" and "legal". If you use a corp cd key you got from a friend sure it will work..you will have no problems..you will be able to get updates..but its not legal.

The only way it could be legal is if you aqcuired a cd key that was never used then that would be legal. As for the corporate versions you can always use them for the designated enterprise legally..so installing it at home machine for home use would be illegal.

Just wanted to clear that up.

My question is whether or not that "dell branded" CD key will work on my non-Dell PC, and will I be able to get the updates? Thats all I want to know. One guy says it won't. OK, now I'm looking for different opinions.

It was directed to your question..just what was posted :) Let me see if I can try one out for you here tonight..we have about 300 DELL Windows XP discs floating around. I will see if it will let me install one on say an IBM or other NON-DELL brand and see what it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom