upgrading..what should i get?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthongy817

Baseband Member
i'm upgrading from my p4 2.4ghz non-ht with a soyo sy-p4x400 dragon ultra.

i've decided on the the following stuff:

-DFI Lanparty ut NF4 Ultra-D
-2GB @ 1GBx2 OCZ Platinum PC3200.
-eVGA 6600GT pci-e.

I'm going to use my harddrive from my old computer..westerdigital 80gb 7200rpm.

The only thing i need help is picking out the processor. I had my eyes set on the amd 64 4000+ clawhammer. But then i remember reading something that the memory will restrict the performance of the 4000+.

What is the best processor i should get that i can get the most performance out of without a lot of overclocking?

what is the difference from the clawhammer, san diego, venice, etc.?

What is a good HSF for the vga and cpu? I've read that the zalman 7700 hsf is good for the cpu...but i have the "alienware look alike case" and i think the psu would be in the way of that hugeass heatsink.

I basically am set on the mobo and vga. Any other recommendations on the memory/cpu would be appreciated!

Basically this computer will be a everything computer...from doing homework and downloading music to playing BF2 and other highend games.

I basically have about $500 to spend as of right now. I get about $140-180 a week which i can spend away.

I also might consider upgrading the sound card...i'm using the soundblaster live! 24-bit :eek: . I'm not sure if changing it would make a dramatic sound difference. So opinions on that would be great.

comon people. 14 views and no replies?! somebody has got to have some opinions!

i would love to get my whole setup done by tonight and ordered...got hooked up on BF2 already and i took apart that computer and using a super old 350mhz computer to get on here.

another thing i was wondering about. would the difference in L2 cache from a 512mb to a 1gb be a big difference? And what is the difference from Process type: 90nm and 130nm?

Well, you could go with the AMD X2 4400, or 4200, not sure of the numbers. The Toledo chipset.

sickness said:
Well, you could go with the AMD X2 4400, or 4200, not sure of the numbers. The Toledo chipset.

isn't x2 dual core? i'm not going to surf the net or burn cds while gaming, which the x2 is good for...multitasking.

while gaming...i'll be doing nothing else besides gaming. so i think the regular amd 64 is good for me, except that i don't know which one to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom