leaving the computer on all day - power consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubius said:
Hmm, don't know about 220w....depends though...I believe the 6800GT's and Ultra suck up like 150w on their own, but if he's got a tad bit older than I'd suspect it wouldn't be much at all

I was thinking about the average power consumption, not maximum.

150W in regards to 6800Ultras would be their max power consumption, and their average, idle power consumption is somewhat lower, although I am not sure what that would be.

Thats pretty much what I was thinking for the whole system, was the idle power consumption, with factoring in a couple hours a day of near-maximum power consumption.

For goodness sake switch the thing off when you go out unless you have a reason for it to be on. If you're not in then what's the point in wasting the energy for absolutely no reason whatsoever? Think of the environment. And yes, it will obviously be cheaper to turn it off when not being used.

^^^ Agreed

Well measure how many watts your power draws at idle, a good estimate would be 150. Not everyone has a clamp meter? to test the power draw.

End's up being quite a bit of money. like 20$ a month saved.

For goodness sake switch the thing off when you go out unless you have a reason for it to be on.
my reason is it's downloading and if its 'every time I go out' well hell that'd be lame...that'd be a lot of turning on and turning off which isn't good for the computer....my computer is up and running by about 1:30pm and it gets shut down automatically at 7am

Our bill last month for 2 people in small apartment was 1340KWH. If you are right, based on simple averaging ...then 150KH is about 1/9 of the apartments power consumption or roughly $15 - 20 a month to use the computer ...which is now noted for future reference.

I have to track down what else is sucking electricity. What's left is the a/c and refrigerator which are sporatic, plus washing machine/dryer and dish washer occasionally.

Im just having trouble figuring out why our bill is so high right now for 2 people. $150 seems steep. I'd say it needs to be down to $100 or less.

Do this:

Buy energy saving light bulbs! 9W/13W

Leave you PC on all day but at night turn it off, unless you have downloads.

If the computer is doing nothing it doesn't us much electric as on full loads.

m3trj said:
If you're not in then what's the point in wasting the energy for absolutely no reason whatsoever?

I belive the "reason" was discussed a couple threads above man. Thermal expansion issues.

AuBrEy Online said:
Do this:

Buy energy saving light bulbs! 9W/13W

Leave you PC on all day but at night turn it off, unless you have downloads.

If the computer is doing nothing it doesn't us much electric as on full loads.

Yeah efficent lightbuilds r0x0r your b0x0r.

I use them almost exclusivly, I am almost all low power or florouscent low power bulbs.

Same thing in my house. Except for the Chandalier. My mom doesn't want any fluorescent bulb on that.. :confused:. On my residence here everything is fluorescent. University pays the bills :)

man I had like 400w high pressure sodium lightbulbs and another 200w or so metal hallide bulbs (ehh dont ask me what I used them for :p Some people might know)

and our electric bill was $100 or a tad below in our apartment...NONE of the lightbulbs were energy saving, AC would be on, TV, amps for the guitars crap like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom