Upgrading to a new graphic card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzy

Baseband Member
Hi,

I've been meaning to upgrade my graphic card for awhile now, it being integrated. After looking on the internet for a few days, I've decided that the Vision Xtasy 9600 (256 MB) Graphic Card should fulfill my gaming needs. However I've just learned that the type of graphic card you buy can only be compatible with the type of motherboard you have.

I'm no expert on my PC hardware and therefor have no idea the 'type' of hard drive / motherboard I have. Is there any possible way that I can find this out? I know a long time ago I had a program that gave me all my computer specs.

Also, this PC is an HP Pavilion a818n.

Thanks
Jeremy

P.S. Is this graphic card standalone?

the hard drive should not make a differences...i believe.
if you are playing older games, yes the 9600 should be ok. i see alot of people buy a card just because it has 256mb of VRAM while its wont help as much as a faster core speed or more pixel pipelines. if i were to guess you computer might have an agp slot.
(oh and you link for some reason leads to microsoft.com

Fixed. :)

The reason I picked this card out of all the rest is because of this little quote:

Pros: Easy to install. Runs Doom3 on high quality setting.
Cons: None.

Although if you have any graphic card suggestions I'm open. I'm aiming to play CS: Source right now, and then Rainbow Six: Lockdown when it comes out in December for the PC.

6600GT. 150ish dollars. best for the bucks. actually 6800 is and unlock but i see your not a one of those people

OMFG, WHAT THE F*CK?! I JUST SPEND $170 ON A EVGA GEFORCE 6600GT FROM NEWEGG AND THATS $124 WITH FREE SHIPPING?! OMFG OMFG OMFG, MESSED-FREAKIN UP. THATS IT, NOW I'M CHECKING BOTH NEWEGG AND ZIPZOOMFLY.COM!

I assume the "GT" at the end of the number adds something (as they cost more)?

I'll end up buying the Evga Geforce 6600GT (or maybe 6800GT) more than likely now. Thanks for your reply.

Flanker said:
OMFG, WHAT THE F*CK?! I JUST SPEND $170 ON A EVGA GEFORCE 6600GT FROM NEWEGG AND THATS $124 WITH FREE SHIPPING?! OMFG OMFG OMFG, MESSED-FREAKIN UP. THATS IT, NOW I'M CHECKING BOTH NEWEGG AND ZIPZOOMFLY.COM!

you just bought an AGP!!!! version of the 6600GT? agp. not pcie. anyways.

get the 6800GT. AGP

but really i would say buy a new system with a PCIE16 slot. cause agp is going to end up l ike PCI sometime in a year or maybe two

EDIT: flanker. why dont you just search whatever your going to buy on dealtime
http://www.dealtime.com/
thats where i found out zimpzomfly was 124 dollars with free shipping.

and 170 dollars for a 6600GT is kind of expensive. only 148 after mail in rebate and shipping on newegg. i think your talking about pcie but anyways

PZEROFGH said:

but really i would say buy a new system with a PCIE16 slot. cause agp is going to end up l ike PCI sometime in a year or maybe two

Where did PCI go, I see it being heavily used :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom