windows server 2003 and xp pro in a simple basic SOHO domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
hi, how exactly do i set this up completely, is there a newbie's guide online that anyone knows about for this? i have a 4 computer network(includes my server) that i'd like to be able to control using a domain rather than a work group, my server(as listed below...dell dimension 4100 which is using windows server 2003 instead of XP Pro) i know how to setup a domain controller and such but how do i add computers to the domain and users and printers and such, i really need a dummies tutorial for this if anyone can help...pics are also good, thx for any help

Well its kinda hard to give a "dummies" tutorial on this one.
Are you going to make your server a DHCP/DNS/DDNS server ?
If so.. you need to make sure you talk to your ISP so you can have that static IP to call your own.
Once your done with that, make 1 machine a DC ... very important.
Once you have that done.. you need to join you other machines to the domain. Go to your my computer and hit properties..
Select the Computer name tab and select "change"
You then can join your machine to the domain.

DO NOT forget to create the local/network Accts !
Create your AD (active directory) groups and have fun.
MAKE SURE YOU CREATE A LOCAL ADMIN ACCT incase your domain GOES DOWN !

happy hunting

could u explain DDNS and DC? never heard of those 2, DNS - domain name service and i know wat DHCP is/does w/e but yea i uh...w/e

DDNS : Dynamic Domain Naming Space.
- Used without DHCP.

DC : Domain Controller.
- Depending on the size of your domain, you "should" have
Multiple DC's.

Nope... A DC is a standalone that helps with replication and data transfer.

Servers are servers.
Domain Controllers help "Control Domains"
DC's can be setup to help with whatever youwish.

the DC can also be the server. You server is going to be the DHCP, DC. Since there are not other servers, your machine will become the DC. it's not the complicated. The setup process is very simple.
Server 2003 has a tool for configuring the servers. use it. it's very helpful. Look in control panel.

As stated above, setting up the groups and account you are going to be using is very important. Make sure you have all the local admin accounts matched, and then have a least one domain admin account. use the Domain admin accout to add the machines to the domin per the above instructions, once you get the setup working. from there, you can learn about Group Policy and login scripts and all that fun stuff if you want.
Really, setting up a small network is not hard. Just have patience and be ready to troubleshoot for a few hours if you do something wrong. but it's all for understanding it better in the end.

Good luck

ok...yea i use that server config tool a lot, thats how i tried to set this crap up initially but it was a lot of trial and error i dont have patience for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom