Squirel Cage Fans - Are they any better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I am debating about picking up a Squiral Cage Style Fan in order to suck hot air out of my case.

I have noticed that they are about twice as more expensive as your 80mm fans. Are they any better?

I know about each fan, but i never looked at there specs side by side...

and by just doing so i see that... that the fan you linked to is worse than a normal 80mm fan.... it has about hte same CFM, but the Cage fan runs between 2000 and 4000rpm... the normal 80mm run about 2000max.... also the Cage fan is louder then a normal 80mm.

The reason there more expensive is because the Cage fan type doesnt have any dead spot right in the middle of the fan... so they can be usefull if used as HSF's... For a case fan though, thy hold no value... unless maybe if you get one as large a unstandard as this... http://home.online.no/~olstua/badsector/projects/diselpics.html ....he said he got it out of a photocopyer.

because of the cage fans price, i probably wouldnt even consider it for a HSF.... if you combine 2 cheap 80mm's and put them sideby side, and have half of each fan covering each half of the HSF, then you end up with no dead spot.

EDIT: o yea i also just noticed that Cage fans Wattage is 2 to 12watts.... were as a normal 80mm is 1watt or Less Max.... thats a big power difference.

I put some extra thought into this last night. And after thinking for a while, I am going to see what I can do with a 120 mm fan instead.

i don't think those fans you showed will do any better then normal style fans with good airflow. Its just a new lookin fan that will attract the consumers, but doesnt mean it performans any better, pick up a nice 120 mm fan and you will deffinatly have better airflow with it, look into a panaflo fan, i love mine.

I was looking at the back panel. I am going to have to settle for a 80mm instead.

Harper said:
I was looking at the back panel. I am going to have to settle for a 80mm instead.
Whatever you do, dont put 2 fans ontop of each other....

I had 2 fans in my hand b4, and i was testing stuff... i put them on top of each other to see if that would make double the airflow... but it actually felt like it cut air flow in half.... my guess would be that if thy are piled on top of one another, they would actually conflict with one another unless there fins are perfectly allined... witch will not happen on its own.

I could see that coming from a mile a way.

And the stupid thing is is that I have seen a lot of case modder to that.

Doubbling up fans can increase airflow, however they should be spinning at roughly the same speed and the same dirrection.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Doubbling up fans can increase airflow, however they should be spinning at roughly the same speed and the same dirrection.
That turned out totally false when i had 2 120mm case fans, exactly the same brand and same speed, in my hand.... I put them front to back spinning the same direction, and i could feel the airflow slow down.

Try it yourself, and you'l probably find that doubling up fans is probably a very bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom