Why use linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How big a HD would be sufficient for linux? I have an 80 GB in my computer, thinking of switching it for a much much much smaller one. I'll put the other to some good use in another PC. So just how much space does a linux O/s and the necessary applications require? Thanks

live cd's are a good way to try linux. also look at Damn Small Linux and Puppy. two "mini-distros". and to answer your question on the size of the hdd, it really depends on your distribution. in general you will need 3 partitions, one called a swap partition (similar to a swap file in windows) which will need to be about double the size of your RAM, a boot partition which will be maybe 100mb and your root partition which should be at least 2-3gb for modern distributions but i reccomend at least 10gbso all up a bare minimum of maybe 3-4gb, but probably more than 10gb is best.

If you want to try Linux without installing it I'd recommend the Knoppix live CD. It will set itself up for most hardware with no problems.

All you need to do is burn the CD image and boot the CD and you can try Linux without installing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom