Intel thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BColes

In Runtime
I'm going to build a new system soon and i was wondering what processor you guys would get if you had to choose between these two. AND ONLY THESE TWO.

Pentium D 830 3GHz Dual Core $315
P4 650 3.4GHz 2mb L2 cache $267

I mostly game but also do some DVD backups, listen to music, etc.
I have somewhat of a budget so i'm sticking in that range. :confused:

Game = BF2

neither....especially since you said gaming, and especially since you said bf2.

I know you said it must be between these two, but why?

Pretty much any recent benchmark tests show that the amd 64's run the gaming world as of now.

It would make no sense to do what your doing, so i refuse to pick one and be part of this atrocity[sp?]

sCribes said:
neither....especially since you said gaming, and especially since you said bf2.

I know you said it must be between these two, but why?

Pretty much any recent benchmark tests show that the amd 64's run the gaming world as of now.

It would make no sense to do what your doing, so i refuse to pick one and be part of this atrocity[sp?]

Thanks for trashing my thread . Please don't post if you aren't going to choose.

i wasnt trashing your thread, chill out man.

I was making a suggestion. Your posting on a forum asking for advice, and i gave you mine. The rules dont say that i can make a recommendation.

That last part about the atrocity was a joke, i thought that was clear.

But anyway, can you tell why you have to choose between only those two processors?

It seems amd would be the way to go for what your looking for, is why i am curious.

sCribes said:
i wasnt trashing your thread, chill out man.

I was making a suggestion. Your posting on a forum asking for advice, and i gave you mine. The rules dont say that i can make a recommendation.

That last part about the atrocity was a joke, i thought that was clear.

But anyway, can you tell why you have to choose between only those two processors?

It seems amd would be the way to go for what your looking for, is why i am curious.

I'm fine, i just don't want this to turn into an AMD love fest. As i said i'm in some sort of a budget so i can't get "the best of the best". I already have DDR2 in hand and i want to go with INTEL. I don't like to play 3dmark and i don't care about a few frames per second in BF2. ;)

OK. in this range of CPUs doesn't the Video Card make a bigger difference, not the CPU brand?

Fpr straight up gaming performance, the 650 would win. Also, the 6xx series are very good OC'ers, so 4+Ghz, is very possible.

The dual core on the other hand will do fine if combined with a nice gfx card and would perform better on a lot of other tasks.

BTW, here is a very good set of benchmarks. It also compares them to the AMD single core and dual core counterparts...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/print/athlon64-x2-3800.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom