Mac on a Compaq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipu2021

Beta member
Is is physically possible to dual-boot XP and Tiger on a Compaq Presario (SR1214NX)? I also wanna partition said Compaq but windows gives such random un-helpful tips... Help Please!!

What you need:
VMware
Ubuntu Live CD (or any other bootable linux distro)
Deadmoo's OS X linux distro

For my setup I have XP installed on the first primary partition, and a second 7gb NTFS primary partition I am installing OS X on. I'm not sure if your partition needs to be primary, but it doesnt hurt.

1. Pop in your Ubuntu disc and boot it. We are going to change out partition type to AF (apple partition). Open a terminal window and type:

Code:
cfdisk /dev/hda

Select the partition you want to install OS X on, and go to "Type." Manually write in "AF" as the type (it's not listed, but dont worry). Now write the changes to the disk by selecting "Write." Only the partition you changed will get erased.

2. Shutdown and bring up your PC in XP. Install VMware. Creating a new "FreeBSD" virual machine. Use your PHYSICAL hard drive as the main disc. Edit the virtual machine and add a second harddrive. Add the virtual drive from deadmoo's OS X release. Stick your Ubuntu disc in your cd-rom drive, and start the virtual machine.

3. At the VMware boot screen hit ESC to enter boot options, select to boot from CD-Rom. Ubuntu will boot up inside VMware. Start up a terminal window and run the command:

Code:
dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/dev/hda2 bs=8192

This is assuming you mounted your physical drive as the first drive in vmware (hda), and deadmoo's image as the second drive (hdb), and that you are installing to the second partition of the first drive (hda2). CHANGE ACCORDINGLY. You can type "fdisk /dev/hda -l" to list the partitions of hda to make sure you get your numbers right.

When it's done you can shutdown the virtual machine and close VMware. Now we just need to setup to dual boot.

4. Download this file. Its the boot file for Darwin. Extract the file chain0 to your C: drive. Add the following line to the end of your boot.ini (C:\boot.ini ... you may need to temportarily uncheck "read only" so you can make changes to it):

Code:
C:\chain0="Mac OS X"

You're DONE. Reboot your machine, and select Mac OS X from the boot list.

5. Let's change the password. At the darwin boot screen press a button, select your partition with OS X, and type "-s" and hit enter. At the prompt type:

Code:
sh /etc/rc
passwd curtis
passwd root

Simply enter your new passwords when prompted. That's it! If OS X hangs when booting, try booting with "-x" (same procedure as above when you booted with "-s").

ENJOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom