Need help with hard drive issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoWarrior

In Runtime
I have recently obtained a hard drive that was once part of a Compaq Presario computer. I am trying to get this hard drive to work in a custom computer. But when I tried to boot the custom computer up that I put the hard drive into it says something like it couldn't find the hard drive. Even when I put in the windows XP disc, so I can re format it there ( not through console on disk), it says that it can't find the hard drive.

I was able to re format the hard drive through the console in my windows xp disk though. That finished, but when I try to boot the custom computer up after that, now it says "NTLDR is missing, Press ctrl+alt+Del to restart".

Anyone know what I can do to get this hard drive to work in the custom computer I put it into? Or is there something with hardware that were previously in computer sellers computers (like HP, compaq) that don't want you to use them in other systems?

Thanks

Thanks for the link, yeah, turns out all I needed was the full version disc of windows XP to get it to format the hard drive. Though I am having one more problem.

The hard drive I have in the custom computer is a 250 gb hard drive. But when I check it in the My Computer window and click on the hard drive icon, it only says that I have 127 gb of storage in total. Why is this?

Thank you both for the feedback, I installed X - setup and I went into Classic > Hardware > Hard Disk > 48 bit LBA. I meet the requirements of the warning, and I tried to enable 48 bit LBA but the computer still doesn't recognize the full 250gb but still 127gb. I went to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013 and it seems to want me to access the windows regristry, I don't know how to access it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom