2x 80gb sata 8mb 7200rpm vs 1x 74gb sata 16mb 10000rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.

salami1212

Baseband Member
Well. I have set my 2 80gb hard drives to raid 0 and some people say it is the same performance as the raptor drive. Is it?

and how much of an imprvement would raid 0 be on 2 raptor drives?

in RAID 0, the 2 7200RPM drives will most likely outperform the single 10000RPM drive. a RAID 0 of 2 10000RPM SATA drives (the Raptor) offers SCSI-type performance without having 2 buy a PCI RAID controller or worry about setting up the SCSI (very tricky). If you dont mind spending the money, go for the 2 Raptors in the RAID. If you don't want to buy another HDD, the 2 7200RPM drives will be pretty fast.

Regards,

If you keep a close eye on Newegg you can often find those 10k rpm Raptors for $160 after rebates. Not a bad deal... Not to hijack this thread, but could someone explain SCSI to me? Thanks!

i would say get the small raptor (34GB?) and put the OS on there, and some important files and games. and get another 7200rpm hdd and put it in raid 0

Well I dont know what SCSI is either. But 'only' being able to have 7 of them wouldnt be a big deal, plus there pretty expensive anyway. Its not like most of use have 7 ATA drives... Two or 3 drives is plenty.

SCSI (Small Computer Serial Interface. A system of connecting a chain of computer peripherals to a computer.)

You can connect up to 15 SCSI devices (scanners, harddisks etc) to a SCSI controller as far as I know, could be different for various types of SCSI.
Mostly used in server configurations. SCSI is extremely expensive (you most likely won't be able to afford it) A single SCSI hard disk can cost as much as a high-end gaming system. SCSI hard disks are very reliable and very fast. They are "intelligent" and use command queing.
I would die for SCSI.

SCSI (pronounced "scusi" ??) is faster, but more expensive... and I think it requires a different type of connector. If you're on a budget (like I always seem to be...) then SATA II seems to be an ideal choice. I've heard that the SATA Raptors kick premium ass when you put two into RAID 0, but I'm not sure about the worth of 1 Raptor.

SCSI isn't worth thinking about for the normal user/gamer. 15,000 RPM would be pretty sweet but it comes at a high cost when that money could go other places, like a video card, RAM, processor, mobo, PSU...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom