Venice not a monster...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone bought a Venice recently, does that mean that they will get a CPU with a later week or is it usually random?

well it's kind of random but we're already in the 37th week or so of the year, so theres pretty much no chance you're going to get a week 17 or earlier unless god is smiling upon you....you're just going to have to pray to the OC'ing gods that whatever venice you get will OC

How the hell do the earlier one's overclock more, I mean their process keeps getting better and better, hence we should have more better overclocking processors.

Unless AMD is making sure they don't OC so well, because they want people to buy FX-57?

yeah I pretty much lucked out when I got this week 15, I was desperately buying early after seeing the results at XS so I could get a good core, ended up with DOAs and thought I was screwed at that point but luckily got a decent one still

Really when you think about it these cores aren't anything new anymore, I remember back in March and April people were waiting MONTHS for these cores and there was a huge cult-following and they got hyped up, they really aren't that special anymore

Chris - the same pattern followed with the Winchester core when it was first released, the early ones overclocked well but that trait soon degraded in later cores. I suspect that the early cores are not speedbinned as tightly because the architecture is newer and has a lower success rate, but as time passes AMD improved success rate and was able to tighten their binning and ship processors that were "tighter" to their initial specifications

How the hell do the earlier one's overclock more, I mean their process keeps getting better and better, hence we should have more better overclocking processors.
Like gaara said, it's just like the winchesters....the reason for this is all because of supply and demand.

When theres a high demand for the venice chips they'll take really good cores, but set the multi down low, and call it a 3200+ chip when in reality it could and probably did pass for a much better chip.

Since theres no longer a high demand they take the chips that just barely pass for the 3200+'s and mark it as such and if it reaches a 3500+ they mark it as such.

Same thing for the ATI cards with unlockable pipelines...when it was in high demand they simply locked good pipelines, but when it wasn't in demand they took the ones with the bunk pipelines, closed those and put the card out.

I like both those explanations, but either way, we're screwed now. Though...people on XS and OCF are still geting 2.8Ghz with Venices.

Yeah, but most people on XS aren't using your run of the mill air cooling and aren't idiots when it comes to overclocking

Another option some of you who don't want to try your luck with the RevEs now is the Turion, the mobile AMD64s...those cores are using like 1.2v or less for vcore and if they're anything like the XP-Ms should give you some nice results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom