Venice not a monster...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonidas

Daemon Poster
I recently bought a venice 3200+ and have found it to be a sub-par performer... i have only managed to get it to 2480 mhz stable... and that is at a nice 1.6v v-core... i have seen people who claim to have hit 2.6ghz on stock voltage... i know im not doing anything incorrect, i have the the hypertransport bus set to 3x248(x2 DDR)=1488. got my ram set down to 124mhz to make sure it is not my deciding factor... got an amazing xp-120 heatsink that never lets the cpu get above 34... so what could be wrong? im running all of this on an epox 9npa+ sli, with a geforce 6600gt, pc3200 g.skill ram (at stock timings). either im an idiot or i got the worst overclocking venice in the world.

Leonidas

Well for starters your motherboard is not so good

Venices are just like the Winchesters, the early ones were monsters and were able to get some pretty impressive clocks for their time, but the ones around now aren't clocking as high

I was lucky, I got a week 15 which are the ones over at XS that were hitting 3GHz on air, managed to bench mine 2.85GHz...I think anything after week 17 or 18 is less prune to get good results

i got 2.6 and i could do some web browsing and stuff, but i cant play any games. now im down to 2.5, ran 3dmark, crashed during the cpu test. now im down to 2.4 with a 1 to 1 ratio. is 2.4 with 1:1 ratio better then 2.6 with a 5:6 ratio divider?

PZEROFGH said:
i got 2.6 and i could do some web browsing and stuff, but i cant play any games. now im down to 2.5, ran 3dmark, crashed during the cpu test. now im down to 2.4 with a 1 to 1 ratio. is 2.4 with 1:1 ratio better then 2.6 with a 5:6 ratio divider?

Long, heavy, stupid debate on that topic on both OC Forums and XtremeSystems started by yours truly.

Basically; screw that 1:1 ratio, you won't lose any performance going away from 1:1. If your CPU is unstable over 240, then run with the 1:1, but if the memory is limiting you, lower the ratio.

No, the stepping is on the IHS.

Its the second line from the top, the second (right) part of that line, and its the 3rd and 4th number on that part. The first and second # are the year.

week 20's and later were supposed to be some of the worst.

Week 17 was apparently the last good one....I've got a week 18 that'd max out at 2.575GHz in my nf3 Ultra-D buuut I'm HOPING that perhaps it'll go further in this Ultra-D since it's infinitely more stable in terms of the motherboard...buut I haven't gotten around to OC'ing it yet so I don't have any results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom