Need help with processor/hardware upgrades....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moto Geek

Beta member
Hello yall...Well, ive reached the end of my computers capabilities as is...I need recomendations on to what to do next...

I am running XP pro, Fedora Core 4 (via, vmware workstation), an AMD 3000+ on an Asus A7n8x-E with, 1 gig of ram and mirrored 80 Gig Drives, a creative sound blaster Audigy 2NX, and an ATI Radeon 9600SE....I am already gouna get another gig of ram and I am looking at one 200 or two 150 gig HD's (whichever I can get a good deal on)...

My processor is also getting a bit out dated...2.2 Ghz is a bit lagging, I have found myself waiting for stuff reciently.....Should I look at over clocking or a new processor....I would like to be at 3+...is that even posible with my set up?

So, any comments, questions, concerns or miss marked mail is(are) welcome....

Thanks in advance.

My vote is: Overclock that puppy!

The Asus-A7N8X-E (deluxe?) is a great motherboard for overclocking.

"I would like to be at 3+..." If you mean actual processor speed, then no way. If you mean pentium equivalent speed then you should be able to get there easily. hell, you're already at 3000+

3000+ = 1.8

want 3.0, sure you can get 3.0 if you have watercooling. and some great G.Skill ram

EDIT: its not your cpu thats lagging you, its your video card 9600SE?

GET a 6600GT, or 6800GT. or 6800. and stick with the 1GB cause 2GBS dont OC very well...

Thanks yall...

I am showing 2.17 GHz and I didnt touch anything when I built the machine...

I dont game, I watch DVD from time to time....but I am noticing it laging when I have firefox, winamp, photoshop and flash, 1stpage, and dreamweaver going...

Just for refferance, that video card can actually slow my machine down???

I know the Radeon 9600SE was a crappy choice, but I figuired that for $20 new in box from a neighbor who never used it was a real good deal...

I may serriously look at cooling it with water, I sleep next to this thing, and with 5 extra fans, this thing is LOUD... I took the right side cover off of it and it is running at 85.7F at medium load....

so, watercooling, graphics card, doing (more) overclocking and no ram???

fan controller.

upgrade to 2GB to smooth flipping throught pages.

upgrade the video card.. duh. no matter what you do upgrade your vidoe card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom