XP freezes on everybootup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok everyone the problems back and its more annoying than ever.

Everything remains unplugged from the usb ports when shutdown yet it still freezes.

On checking the bootlog nothing seems out of the ordinary a few drivers that are not loaded etc but thats the norm.

However the problem only occurs when the computer has been switched off for a number of hours (ie a cold boot)....

I dont know where to start?

Hey everyone,

I have narrowed the problem down to an entry in the system.ini file.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DPWLEvHd.dll

The above DLL is from the fingerprint reader I use. After removing this line it solved the problem, however i'm no lnoger able to use the fingerprint reader to log on.

Any ideas what I can do next?

How long do you wait? Sometimes if the OS is doing stuff at boot-up, it can hang for quite a bit before it sorts itself out.

Errmm its set to bootup at 7.45am ive gotten up at 8.30am and its still like that or on lazy days 1pm...

Its a strange one....

man just format install copy of window again its simple than to look for different stuffs

Ive reformated countless times and still get the same problem no matter what.

Its not the fingerprint DLL as I said earlier as it froze this morning without the dll being loaded.

Very puzzling!!

what kind of hard drive? this has happened to me twice (two different reasons)

- one time my hard drive was slowly dying. this was back in 98, it was 2 years old. most everything was backed up..

- the second time (just a few months ago)... either spyware or a virus. i should have known, but i kept letting it slide.

good luck. i feel for ya...

Oh crap I hope its not the hard drive....

The hard drive is a 'maxtor 6E040L0' 40Gb

I'm pretty sure its not spyware because its checked everyday by the virus scanner and I check it pretty much every week for spyware using spybot and adaware.

Its driving me insane!!!

yes it might be a hard drive failure, but normally you get early warning signs my 2nd pc is dying and takes 5 minutes or more to get into windows and games wont load. Try lending a hard drive of someone else and see how that goes. If that still crashes try chopping and changing pc parts.

Also check how hot your pc is running that has caused my 2nd pc to freeze alot running at 70 to 90c!

Cheers for the help...

I downloaded powermax from the maxtor website to test the hard drive for failures / disk errors etc.

It passed all tests bar the lowe level write because I didnt want to loose any hard drive data.

Ill try booting off the usb drive for a day or so and see how that goes.

(Ooo just noticed you live in Cheshire...not far from me!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom