Pentium or Athlon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be an avid AMD supporter. But you have to admit that the Northwood P4's with 533FSB and 1066 RDRAM blow away anything that you can get out of an athlon.

But I have to admit that a comparable Athlon system would probably be better for games in that it consistantly gets better 3d Vector calculation scores than my P4.

But my memory scores generally double even the best that a top of the line athlon gets. Can anyone say tradeoff.

My system is

P4 2.53 Ghz Northwood 512L2 Cache
Asus P4T533-C MB (Intel 850E chipset)
512 MB 1066 RAMBUS RDRAM
Verto GeForce 4 Ti 4600
2x 80Gig WD HD's /w 8Meg Cache each
6-channel audio support is on the MB

My madonion compares are

http://service.madonion.com/compare?pcm=655838
http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4454676

All Intel architecture here. Why? Once bought an Athlon CPU and it failed, so replaced it with Intel.

The real reason--I own Intel stock!!!

IMHO, AMD makes a better proccessor for much less money. The only issue they have is the fact that the run quite a bit hotter. But if your using a HSF that is certified by AMD, thats not a problem at all.

Does any one know why Intel Owns Most the market? Well Via's Cyrix chips just plain suck.. the 667 does worse than my 333 p2, Intel owns most the market.. Because the chips excell in Dhrystone ALU based apps.. Like Servers, And variouse office applications.. There are more Intel chips in servers than Amd chips because Intel provides more speed and less heat.. Which is a biggi for servers, and Intel chips are primarly used in Workstations such as dell, compaq, and so on. The Arguement on eitiher Amd Or Intel.. there isn't a true Winner.. It's just depeonds on what you do with the system.. Such as if you are a Gamer that is FPS hungry.. you could go with the AMD But Intels Make good framerates also.. Rember.. 200 frames doesn't look any more diffrent to your eye than 32 frames does.. If your a Office guy, or just programm and do 3D things in Lightwave and stuff.. Then i guess you can go with intell.. I'm sure it will run fast if you have RDRam.
I belive when Intel releases the 3.06GHZ with Hyperthreading if AMD doesn't release the Hammer within a month after wards.. Then they will lose alot.. The hyperthreading makes the OS belive there are 2 chips instead of 1 which makes it run more at once.. and etc. Just my opinion.

actually intel does not offer more speed, less heat maybe, but not speed.

In benchmarks, my Athlon XP 1600+ outperforms the 1.6ghz P4 by over 30%, and my athlon is only running at 1.4ghz. You may be right about hyperthreading, but if we can get these hammers out, AMD will keep its share, and the only reason the major computer companies use intel is because Intel offeres them to em for pennies if they promise NOT to use AMD at all....

sounds a bit underhanded to me.

Just installed AMD 2700+, but had to update Asus A7V333
BIOS to version 1015 which was fraught for me! On 100% use
(Chess programs) temperature reaches 78 centigrade and idles at 56 degrees with local ambient of 23 degrees all of which is deemed safe (using Asus Probe V 2.19.01). It is faster but needs at least 512MB PC2700 RAM

InTeL RuLeZ 4 EvEr

I own Celeron 1.2 overclocked to 1.3 and in test it's faster than Athlon 1.2 Thunderbird & Athlon 1500+ XP

A7V333 will take AMD 2800+ and. paticularly with intensive maths problems out performs even 3.0GHz Pentiums.

Gotta start watching out with Hyperthreading.

For distributed applications such as Folding@Home, it is programmed to tackle floating point calculations, which the Athlon excels at. A P4 would perform much better in such a test, that is, if it were SSE2-optimized, but keeping in mind that AMD will also be supporting SSE2 in a year or less from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom