Blue screenning - Machine Check Exception

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengance

In Runtime
I've never seen the blue screen, it must flash instantly (I did disable autorestart, no effect), but Microsoft did tell me the cause of the crash...

Your computer may generate the following Stop error message on a blue screen:
STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"

The exact Microsoft Knowledge Base Article can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284

Any ideas? I've been monitoring my CPU, temp runs around 50 C, 32 C if I'm running CoolerXP (MSI). All current drivers and such. My hardware seems to run fine most of the time, just restarts playing games, or lots of multitasking.

I'm wondering if it's the power supply. I did a power supply estimator and it came pretty close to 300 watts. I just don't want to blow $$ on something that doesn't solve my problem.

Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot in advance. Appreciate any help or ideas. If it is a power supply issue..please provide a good suggestions which to buy cheap.

Here are my specs:
Windows XP Prof.
MSI 8366-8233
AMD Athlon XP 1.7 Ghz
512 MB Ram

80 GB Harddrive
LITE-ON DVD-RW+/-
Norcent CD-RW
NVIDIA GeForce 420 MX 64 MB
AUDIO: Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller

Intel Modem 536EP
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
2 USB Hubs (1 motherboard, 1 PCI)

Your CPU is fine. 50C is healthy.

It sure sounds like a hardware conflict.

First up - Isolate the problem. Can you connect to the internet? When exactly do you get these error messages? On start up, shut down, connect to the net..... etc...

For now, check your RAM for compatibility with your mobo and other components.

For clarity.... Look up Balarc Advisor on Google and download it. Run it. That will give you a complete advisory of all software and hardware you're machine is running. You may spot the troublemaker yourself.

If not, post it in here.

We'll take a look. ;)

I'm not sure how helpful this is in this particular situation, but I've had tons of very odd, unexplainable problems due to nothing but a corrupted system file. I'm not sure it's the cause of this, but it's always good to keep that in mind... as for actually solving the problem, the only thing I can suggest is what kiri said: see whan it crashes, check everything. I've also had weird problems like that and I'm still not sure why, but when i replaced my mobo, they stopped- and u have an MSI- ive never had problems with those. One more thing is you might want to check for viruses and make sure your windows is completely updated.

Isolating problem....

kiri said:
Your CPU is fine. 50C is healthy.

It sure sounds like a hardware conflict.

First up - Isolate the problem. Can you connect to the internet? When exactly do you get these error messages? On start up, shut down, connect to the net..... etc...

For now, check your RAM for compatibility with your mobo and other components.

For clarity.... Look up Balarc Advisor on Google and download it. Run it. That will give you a complete advisory of all software and hardware you're machine is running. You may spot the troublemaker yourself.

If not, post it in here.

We'll take a look. ;)

Ok, here are more details:
I ran Belarc Advisor, nothing seems wrong. I have 1 stick of 512 MB memory that came with the system...so I doubt that is a problem. I recently (in late December) reformatted my harddrive...so I think system files are fine.

Internet works fine, all the programs work fine and it happens unspecific to any programs or tasks. I have all current updates for programs and drivers for hardware.

It DID begin to occur after installing a few components:
My DVD-RW drive and a PCI USB 2.0 Hub.
It hasn't happened ever while connecting USB devices....but it has a few times working with my other optical drive, the CD-RW. Is it possibly a conflict between the two optical drives? They work fine when I use them.

It is possible the power supply is too weak...Yesterday it crashed/restarted and then crashed again as soon as I logged in and started playing a CD. Perhaps the powersupply was struggling. It has never happened twice in a row before.

EVERYTHING on the computer works perfect everytime. It just autorestarts without notice and without unique provoking. I hope SOMEONE has an idea about it. Thanks!

"It DID begin to occur after installing a few components:
My DVD-RW drive and a PCI USB 2.0 Hub.
It hasn't happened ever while connecting USB devices....but it has a few times working with my other optical drive, the CD-RW. Is it possibly a conflict between the two optical drives? They work fine when I use them.

It is possible the power supply is too weak...Yesterday it crashed/restarted and then crashed again as soon as I logged in and started playing a CD. Perhaps the powersupply was struggling. It has never happened twice in a row before.

EVERYTHING on the computer works perfect everytime. It just autorestarts without notice and without unique provoking. I hope SOMEONE has an idea about it. Thanks!"

BRAVO!!! You answered your own question there. The DVD-RW drive isn't receiving enough power. A definite conflict with the mobo that would crash your system.

Check out your mobo specs and see if you can upgrade those power requirements. Other than that, you're looking at a new motherboard. :(

The USB 2.0 Hub isn't a problem. Ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom