Replacing Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrGonzo

Solid State Member
I have an HP(model XG843) computer and im wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the motherboard. Assuming i could get a more up to date motherboard to fit, would i have to update the power supply?

Here are the specs of the computer: Specs for HP Pavilion XG843

It's pretty obvious why i want to upgrade it. I don't really need anything blazingly fast, but it would be nice to have something that would be able to handle some of the newer video games.

ok u got a problem if u want to play the newer games u need to get rid of your slow 128kb cache CELERON and get urself a nice Athlon XP Barton 2500+ (about 125CDN). and ull need a new motherboard for it (about 100CDn ) and videocard and memory
and basically a whole new compuiter

spending money upgrading ur current computer is a waste - it wont be fast enough.

however u could use ur current Harddrive - cd drive - floppy - case(if u wanted to), and monitor - keyboard - mouse.

that would drives costs down considerably.

id say athlon xp 2500+
about 100Cdn ASUS motherboard
512mb ram or 256mb
ATI Radeon 9200 128mb videocard
and a new powersupply (300watt +++) or a new case.

you need only to get a good video card to play modern games. minimum of nvidia geforce4 440MX or ATI 9000 radeon. if your power supply cant power the video you may have to get a beefier one.

the thing is HP uses proprietary shaped power supplies. you would have to get an HP manufactuerer one or just have it laying outside, on top of your case. that celeron 800Mhz is very slow have you considered a new computer?

www.cyberpowerinc.com

I have considered a new computer, i just want to use as much stuff as possible from my old one. If i could get away with getting a new motherboard, processor, video card, and power supply i would be pretty happy. I just want to know if this stuff is gonna fit in the case.

Big problem in the video card area: Intel 810 chipset....... most motherboards based upon this usually don't support a replacement AGP slot, so your upgrade options in that category are pretty limited, however, PCI versions of the GeForce4 MX 440 SE, GeForce FX 5200, and the Radeon 9000 do exist, and should work flawlessly in that type of PC. I'm guessing that the motherboard would be able to support PIII CPUs (CuMine core, 100 MHz FSB) up to 1.1 GHz, but I still consider those to still be expensive nowadays and it wouldn't be really worth it. Stick to your video card and power supply, for now.

Ok, i picked out some stuff that i like and i would like some opinions.

Aspire (Turbo Case) X-Dreamer Silver ATX Mid-Tower Case w/ Window and 350W Power Supply, Model ATXB3KLW-AL/350W.

Asus nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "A7N8X"(New Version, now support AMD Barton 400MHz)

ATI AIW RADEON 9600PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, FM/CATV/VIVO, 8X AGP

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ " Barton", 333MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor

Apacer 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2100 Infineon Original Chipset

With these parts and the stuff from my current computer, would i be able to build a decent computer. Also, would the parts i picked out work together and with the stuff i already have? If i could use the hard-drive out of my hp computer, would i still be able to use the hp system recovery disks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom