Wierd problem, mabe BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

raiden_nrl

In Runtime
OK, this is what has been happening.
I bought 512 mb's more of azen RAM to add on to my other 512 AZEN RAM. Ontop of that I bought a cicero (said Maxtor drive on the hd) 160 GB.
I hooked up the new hardrive IDE cables and power, installed windows and ran the comp. Ever since every ounce in a while I would get that so called blue screen of death saying hardware problems and alot of other stuff. I would have to restart the computer everytime I go to install something because just when the installation was about to finish of whatever program I am installing it would freeze. The installation freeze would only happen if the computer has been on for more the 5-10 minutes, ounce I restart and do the installation right away it would complete.
Also I cannot do Cntr+Alt+delete the screen of proccess manager would popup for about a second then sit in the tray withought letting me at it.
SO I reformatted and installed windows again today, but the exact same things are happening, I hit shutdown and when it was shutting down the same blue screen came up saying windows has been turned off to prevent damage to your computer probalbly a hardware error.
Now I'm pretty sure it is the hardrive becuase nothing wierd happens when I am using the 40 GB old one.
Now could this possibly be a Bios problem, or is it a HD hardware defect? And can you tell me how to update my BIOS, I have already reset my CMOS. I think my BIOS is award winning BIOS or something i'm going to go check.

BUMP,
also I do not seem to get the blue screen of death anymore...
After I restart I can install whatever i want, but after 5-10 minutes of it being on it will freeze near the end of the program I am installing. I was installing service pack 2 and it froze half way through that. I am still not able to use ctrl+alt+delete (i can use it when i restart but not after 5-10 minutes), one time I knoticed when I had the manager open svchost was at 99-100 % CPU usage... I don't realy feel like taking my new hardrive back but with all these problems I don't think it is worth it. Most of the time of the computer being on 5-10 minutes it says it cannot detect any sound hardware so I can't play songs/movies withought a restart. Lots of thing like that.
It has been about 2 weeks since I asked this...
Thanks for the help in advanced.

Sounds like a major headache.

Your stats say 64 mobo, but a XP CPU. Which one?

What PSU are you using? I can't be sure, but it may be choking out due to lack of juice.

Oh, and Maxtor's do not have a good rep around these parts. Go with Seagate, if you can get it.

Wait, I know what the problem is now... When my comp started up I did ctrl+Alt+delete and when things started to act stupid like usual one on my svchost.exe procceses were taking 99-100% of my CPU usage. Is this some kind of virus?

Well, I had to keep ending the svchost process everytime it popped up when I was installing service pack 2... Ounce it was installed I restarted and it hasn't happened since...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom