Compatebility question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares82

Baseband Member
Hi,

I would like to buy a new video card for my Dell Dimension 4600, I have my eyes set on GeForce 7800 cards, but I am not sure that I have the right slot for it.

The requirements for the card says that it needs a PCI Express x16. I just know that my computer has an extra PCI and AGP x8 slots available and I'm not sure that that is good enough for the GeForce 7800, but I thought that I would ask anyways.

Also, if it is not, can someone suggest a good DirectX 9 generation video card that is compatible?

Thank you.

you cant fit a PCI express graphics card in a standard PCI slot. So the best you can do is a 6800Ultra, the AGP version. Itll save you some money, just make sure 100% you have a AGP slot as i know alot of dells have integrated graphics and no agp slot. Im not sure if this is the case for yours

Hmm,

I believe that it does have an AGP slot. I mean I have Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 on it, which according to dell is an AGP card so I should be able to swap it.

But I want to be 100% sure, so is there a way to find out without having to open up my computer, I mean I can do it if there is no other way, but I rather not.

CPU-Z says it, download it from www.cpuid.com.

(You will have to open up your case at some point, and it is better to familierise your self with the inside of the case before hand.)

The Dell Dimension 4600 does have an AGP slot.
Apparently there are three types of 4600(4600 intergrated graphics, one with a Video Card and a 4600C model) and all have AGP slots.
7800 nvidia is out of the question it was only made to support PCI-E x 16 interface. The 6800Ultra AGPs are going to be hard to find and very expensive. Below is a link for a 6800GT XFX.....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150102

Oh yeah, there is also the matter of PSU power output. A 6800ultra/gt are quite power hungry - may have to spend money on a more powerful psu.

Trifid, thanks for the heads up, can you point me in the right direction where I can find more info on PSUs?

I totaly forgot about power. The 4600s only have a 250 watt and the 4600C has a 160 watt. You will need to upgrade that power supply if you are going to run that card. I was unable to find out exactly what size you will need so I wont recommend a power supply. If you do decide to go that route(upgrade both AGP and PSU). I pulled the specs for 4600 and all the wires match up so you will not have any problems upgrading the PSU. It is missing the -5V rail, pin 18 but you don't need it and it will not cause any problems when upgrading. However if you own 4600C please let me know there is a minor problem with the ATX 20 pin connector. I am sure its just a typo on Dells part but I need it clearified before I can suggest upgrading it(I will tell you what I'm talking about if you own the 4600C).

I don't know what the i stands for, maybe intergrated graphics. Did you buy that Dell with the graphics card already installed or was the card purchased and installed later? Either way your fine Dell used the ATX standard for the 20 pin connector.
As far as power supply goes I will only recommend what I have which is this......
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148001
I love looks cool there other colors green, orange and blue. Its a good power supply good rails and lots of amps. Its also only $58.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom