Choosing a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

nadushka

Solid State Member
Hi,
I am currently looking for a laptop with a reasonable price, so I thought about Acer TravelMate 4150.

Actually I dont know how to evaluate the computer.
Here are the specifications of this notebook:

a) Processor: Intel processor
b) Processor Brand: Intel Centrino
c) Processor Speed: 1.7GHz
d) HardDisk: 60GB
e) Memory (RAM): 512MB Memory
f) Optical Drive: DVD-R/CD-RW
h) VGA Card : 64MB RAM VGA
i) Display Type : XGA Display Type
j) Display Size : 15.0" Monitor
k) Modem : 56k FAX Modem
l) Ethernet (LAN) : 10/100Mbps
m) Operating System : Windows XP Home Edition
n) Weight : 2.1 - 3kg
o) Battery Life : Up to 5 hours
q) Extras : 3x USB 2.0, Bluetooth Interface

I am wondering if the processor speed (1.7 GHz) is good or not. Actually I am planing to use the laptop for graphics programs and internet applications. Also, I want to make sure that the laptop can access the internet wirelessly; I already have an access point working fine with another laptop but I dont know if it will work with acer TravelMate 4150.

Here is the URL containing the computer specefications:
http://www.e-sistrum.com/webapp/itemdesc.asp?CartId=EVEREST{A574A413-3D9C-468A-88AE-349F4CCF26F9}&url=ITH&ic=LX%2ET7605%2E111&eq=&Tp=

Please advise.
Thanks a lot

OK well that tabtop is a good one. But as you said you are going to be doing graphic programs. Why not buy a Mac notebook. THere jsut as good but there alot better for Graphics and stuff.

Thanks for ur reply.

Actually I didnt think about Mac because I know that many programs are not compatible with it. And also using graphics programs is not the only purpose of the laptop but it's just an example because I know that this kind of programs needs a computer with good resources.

Also, could you please help me in figuring out if this laptop will be able to access the internet wirelessly or not.

Thanks a lot

Ops!
I am sorry, the URL seems to be not a stable one. Well, I dont know how to tell you the link now. But if you can bear with me I can tell the steps to reach the product page from the home page of the site.

This is the home page URL:
www.e-sistrum.com

Then choose "Computers", then "Notebook PCs" from the left menu. Then you can open the product page: it's laptop number 10, under name "Acer TravelMate 4150 1.7GHz 60GB 512MB"

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Wait how much is that laptop your talking about? Because I bought a Sony VAIO and its pretty much the same specs, and it was only like $1600-$1700.

Well, the sony laptop you bought is much more than this one. The price that appears on the website is in egyptian pounds not dollors. So this acer computer is for 6,455 egyptian pounds; while the VAIO one is 1600$ which is around 9500 egyptian pounds.

Thanks

Ok thanks a lot for your help. So basically, if I am right, do I just need a LAN card of type II in order to work with the access point?

Actually I wonder why Acer laptops are usually much cheaper than other brands having the same specifications. Are they not credible or something?

Thanks a LOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom