MSN and accentuating the inherent evils of perpetual upgrades...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I'll try that. I had uinstalled, but I assumed the fact it was allowing me to install the older version at all meant whatever it had left in the registry wasn't a problem...

One of my friends had been pushing for me to use a particular registry cleanup utility, but the problem is you never really know which ones to trust... I'll have to do a bit of research.

PS. For those times when you find the new versions just suck more than the last, this site is a godsend: http://oldversion.com/ =)

I would suggest either Registry Repair or Registry Mechanic. I have used both and both are good. I have found that RR has found more and fixed more problems than RM.

Well I just downloaded Registery Repair Pro, its only a trial version so it only let me delete/repair 3 enteries at a time. I ran the old program I had, TweakNow RegCleaner, it found nothing. Then I ran Reg. Repair and it found like 460 enteries to delete/correct!! I let it delete/correct all of them and it made a backup of my original registery. I skimmed over all the stuff it found and it looked legit. It found TONS of enteries from old programs that I have had and uninstalled a long time ago so it deleted all that stuff. Im pretty impressed with it, makes the TweakNow one i was using look like a toy...

So now I would sudgest that you uninstall MSN. Get Reg. Repair, run it. Then install your older version of MSN, and hopefully it should just let you keep using the older version and never know you have installed it before.

Even if it dosnt fix your MSN problem, i would say get this program anyway because it found tons of registery junk on my system.

when you reinstall it, go into their option or preferences and uncheck the check for for updates option

I googled it and found a few diffrent programs called Registery Repair and i tried two of them. But the one that seems the best is Registry Repair Pro, the other one I tried was Registry Repair 2005 but it just seemed kinda cheesy.

Ill have to find CCleaner and give it a try also. Can never have too many free programs, hahaha.

This is the version of Registry Repair that i use from Glarysoft. This is the one that has given me the best results for a registry cleaner. Not sure if it is the same one as i ahvent downloaded it and tried. It UI is not the best but it gets the job done.

okay... after trying that, I still couldn't get MSN 6.2 to work. worse still, when i finally relented and updated, it installed 7.5, which sucks EVEN MORE than 7.0 (am I the only one noticing a trend here?)

So here's the scoop: I'm about ready to obliterate the whole ****ing operating system (not to mention I'd have to obliterate Linux as well in order to reinstall windows), reformat and reinstall, and *try* to get MSN 6.2 installed and working...

are there any other suggestions before I try that? It's a time-consuming PITA, and I don't really have that much time right now to be reinstalling systems on my lappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom