I need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpritch25

In Runtime
Some how i got Ubuntu and window xp installed on my computer and i've only installed linux on my old dell labtop. Well, I have run into some snags. Ubuntu didn't recognize my ethernet and sound card. I was able to download the drivers for them. However, I get a message when logging into the Gnome desktop " saying how it can't get on the internet and Gnome might not funtion correctly". Its true because i can't get into the root terminal and all adminstration tools. If anyone could help me out i would appreciate it. Also, when we get the first thing figured out. I would like to find a good book that can tell me how to compile. I have to compile the device drivers into the kernal and i don't have a clue..Thanks

Linux newbie

You know what is wierd is that i can't log in as admistrator. Unless i am in the recovery mode.. For some reason i can't log in as root. However it excepts my log in and password in recovery mode. I don't understand that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will have to allow root to log in some settings with GDM in Gnome. It is for security reasons.

A easy way to get around it is when GDM comes up, in one of the menus you can go to text mode. Login as root there, and then type "startx". Now you are root in gnome.

Unable to login as root with ubuntu is one of its biggest downfalls.

To log in as root user do:

Security Tab -> Options -> Allow root to login with GDM (Checked)

To log in as root via the console do:

sudo -s -H
Password: <specify user password>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom