Startup Problem-XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

yandaoben

Baseband Member
Hi,

recently my other computer has been suffering from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting.

Due to this:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

So, the only way is to insert my XP disc and reboot the computer right?
I have a question: Does the Windows XP disc have to be the same as my orginal XP disc which I used to install, or can it be a new XP Disc?

For prevention, what can I do to ensure it won't happen on this current working computer of mine? Defrag? ScanReg?

Please help,
Thank you.

yandaoben said:
Hi,

recently my other computer has been suffering from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting.

Due to this:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

So, the only way is to insert my XP disc and reboot the computer right?
I have a question: Does the Windows XP disc have to be the same as my orginal XP disc which I used to install, or can it be a new XP Disc?

For prevention, what can I do to ensure it won't happen on this current working computer of mine? Defrag? ScanReg?

Please help,
Thank you.
it can be any disk, as long as it is the same version (home or pro). it doesn't have to be the same service pack.
although it's only legal if you use your own key even with it.

Hey,

I have managed to get into the Recovery Console (RC). For the first time I tried it, I managed to type in the various commands and rebooted. But still the same problem, so I tried to enter RC again.

This time, weirdly, they asked for the administrative password, which my account does not have and which I bypassed on the first time I entered RC by pressing enter. So I pressed enter, but RC says that it's an invaled password. Three times and I have to press ENTER again to reboot the comp.

Same thing over and over.

The main instruction is for me to type into RC this right?

copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

I'm still trying to figure out how RC said that I suddenly had a password, which I did not in the first place!

Thank you.

reformat.

you have just changed permission on a already corrupt computer.

you are going to have issues changing the permission back. now when you finish that computer will still be corrupt.

do a search on this forum with keyword taking ownership to get your permission back. the search tab is on this page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom