Computer on "Standby", fans keep running??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedjunior

Daemon Poster
So I built a computer not long ago, and it was a big step up from my dell 1.6Ghz system. The dell only had 2 fans on it, the psu fan and an exhaust fan connected to a duct that cooled the cpu. Now the computer I built has 2 chassis fans, 2 psu fans and a cpu heatsink fan. All that is relatively new to me, so when I put my computer on standby mode last night(I have just left it on 24/7 until this point) the fans keep running at full steam, and I'm not sure if thats normal or not. When I put my dell on standby, it would be completely silent.

EDIT:Now that I think about it, when I moved to my current apartment about 2 months ago, my dell started doing the same thing, when I'd put it on standby I'd still hear the fans going in the back. Surge protector causing this maybe? Or is the power at my apt messing with my computer???:confused:

Well your fans are probolly 4 pin molex fans, in which case the PC has no control over their speed.

Chassis fans are connected to the motherboard, psu fan runs independent of the motherboard but is connected to the motherboard for monitoring purposes. And of course the cpu fan is connected to the motherboard.

how do i get my computer out of stand by? whenever i stand by it. i hit the keyboard. move the mouse. hit the monitor. and it wont turn back on...???!??!

dont you push the power button once to get it out of stand by?

Mine has a button on the key board that i can push that will just kill everything and if you push it again everything turns back on but its still how you left it, like it dosnt have to boot back up or anything. Isnt that pretty much what stand by is?

the power button usually brings it out of standby

if you are wanting teh computer to use no power at all, use hibernate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom