Lost connection to internet on Windows XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

vball42069

Beta member
Hello all...

I'm fairly familiar with computers and networking, although I'm no expert. Two days ago, the desktop which I had a LAN connection to for over a year stopped working suddenly. For the past two days I've been trying everything I possibly can. I know it's not the ISP since when I put the same cable into my laptop (Windows XP Home as well), the internet works just fine. I'm about to go crazy because I have no idea what to try next. Any ideas would be welcomed.
When I check in Device Manager, the NIC seems to be working properly. I have installed the latest drive and still says it's working properly. The settings are all the same when the internet was working.
Here are some of the things I have tried:

-releasing/refreshing IP address (it can't connect, so it can't do either)
-reinstalling NIC, plugging NIC in and out, bought a USB NIC
-completely re-formatted my harddrive with Windows XP Home
-removed my soundcard
-updated my BIOS
-anything else I could think of....

Basically I've run out of options. All the lights on the NIC are flashing so all signs point to it being able to work. I have no firewalls set up so it should work especially right after a clean installation on a re-formatted harddrive.

I have even tried going back to Windows 98 and now that won't work too. Now I put Windows XP Home back since I know it wasn't the OS somehow.

Has anyone heard of this problem... What could possibly be doing this? I've been trying to figure it out for over two days now...

Please any help?

Please post only once and in one forum with the same question. Do not crosspost to other forums. Thank You! Thread Closed!====MicroBell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom