I have a problem I hope you guys can help with

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedub

In Runtime
You guys have been great in the past, and I hope you can help me out with this. For some reason I can't get the internet to work on my comp, I get the little yellow triangle in the bottom right corner, saying little or no connection. I'm currently back at my parents house, and we run a router, but we've switched plugs around, and that doesn't seem to be the problem. Also, I have a DFI mobo, and it has two ethernet ports, and none of them want to work. So you guys have any idea what is going on? If any more info is needed let me know, because I need this fixed soon, I take online courses, and I need the web! Thanks in advanced guys.

what DFI mobo are you using? You using the top ethernet port(may not apply to you, depends on board) and I assume you made sure to infact install the drivers for the ethernet port?

Have you tried right clicking on network places>properties>right click local area connection>properties>Internet protocol(TCP/IP)>Properties and either inputting a manual IP or obtaining automatic?

Also when right clicking on the local area connection make sure it's enabled and also perhaps try a repair...make sure if theres any other things listed in there to disable them.

I have the Ultra-D Nforce 4 board. It has two ethernet ports, I've also tried the repair function, to no avail. This is a little out of my league, so I am really lost. I appreciate the reply Nubius, you have been a great help in the past. I just need to figure out how to troubleshoot some more. I don't think its the router, becuase we moved cables around, and my dad's comp worked fine.

ive had this problem before. try disabling all firewalls, and see if it works. if it does, turn them back on, and create an exception rule for the ethernet ports. what firewall do you use? if u use a firewall, also make sure that the windows one is switched off.

Hmmm...what I gave you are basically the things I'd try and like you I don't really know too much beyond that unfortunately =/

you might and try popping in your DFI CD and reinstalling all the chipset drivers, or specifically choosing the ethernet and try reinstalling those.

Right click on my computer>Manager then select device manager and make sure its listed there and it doesn't blatently say something is messed up.....funny thing is when I was going through mine just now so I could make sure to tell you the right location mine says drivers aren't installed for the ethernet lol...even though I'm online and downloading right now...go figure

Thanks Nubius, I will try some of those suggestions, hopefully I can get this going, because I have online classes that I take :)

before doing anything complicated, just quickly try the firewall thing. it only takes a minute.

Well, I disabled the firewalls, and it didn't help :( I think my only option is to call my ISP, but if you guys can think of anything let me know :)

ok what there going to say is to bypass the router and plug the modem via cat5 (network cable) into your computer. Do this with a new network cable (if you can, if not take a working one just for testing!) just incase it has a pinch or is a cross-over or something, also if need be put your computer right beside the router incase youve run a cable threw your house and theres some sort of interfearance (probibly spelt that wrong but its late!). Try downloading the newist network card drivers for your motherboard and maybe disabling one if you have too, or the one for your network card if its not on board. Then try a combination of ports on boath your motherboard and modem if theres more then one. This isnt really conventional but I cant see it and Im trying to list off everything that comes into my head with this one. Hope it helps. oh one more thing. If nothing works and you want to give up I think you can get a dlink pci network card for like 20 bucks. Thisll save you from throwing your machine out the closest window :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom