Memory upgrade | PC won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

entralinks

Baseband Member
Hi everyone. I've just upgraded my memory from 256MB to 1GB, I took out the 256 one and only inserted 1GB one so that they don't clash as they are of different makes. Now when I start up my PC, my monitor says 'Monitor is working, check you PC or cable' and nothing boots up, not even that screen where I can get into system setup/bios etc. So from there I have to turn it off by pressing the start CPU button for 5 or so seconds. Help would be loved here, my £40 are at stake, please. :(

My motherboard: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=37

My new RAM: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....6&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores

My system:

Windows XP
MSI MS-6507
Intel P4 2.0 GHz
256MB Ram (old)
GeForce 4 MX 420
Seagate (40 GB 5400 RPM Ultra ATA/100)
Maxtor (40 GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA/133)

What made you choose this memory? I don't see what brand of memory it is, and why did you choose PC3200 with the Intel 845 chipset?

Yes when I put my old memory in, it does boot.

I chose 3200 because I read DDRs are backward compatible, so it shouldn't be a problem, or am I wrong?

entralinks said:
Yes when I put my old memory in, it does boot.

I chose 3200 because I read DDRs are backward compatible, so it shouldn't be a problem, or am I wrong?

they are backward compatable, it should just clock down. I was just curious

You could try dowloading a bootable version of memtest86 with your new RAM in there and see what kindof errors you get. That stick of memory isn't tested with the 845 chipset, and because there is no brand name I'd be a little weary of it.

BASSMASTER thats the whole problem :( ... I can run memtest only after booting up it when goes to that stage where floppy or cd drive is checked, but it doesn't. CPU does start but nothing comes on the screen, instead the monitor says 'Monitor is working, check your pc or cable'. when I put my old ram in, it runs the memtest, no problems.

About the no brand thing, you see its from ebay, and I thought as that seller had tons of positive feedback, it would be ok.

Have you tried all the slots?? if that doesnt work your buyin another piece of ram. try newegg.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom