PSU question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeJ615

Baseband Member
i just ordered a X800 Pro AGP card and a new 400W PSU with 20 amps on the 12+V rail (this one http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=374000 ) .... but the card is going to get here 2 days before the PSU, a tech at ATI's 800 line told me my PSU may be fine running the X800 Pro even though it is a generic 420W with 13amps on the 12+V rail, he said since i only have one hard drive and one optical drive it may work no problem .. so i would like to try that first and just hang on to my new PSU as a backup .. but what are the dangers if it DOESNT have enough power for the card? can it possibly damage the card? or other components in my system?

It won't damage anything... Infact it kinda sounds like that "tech" just wanted you to buy a new PSU from them. That PSU will run everything FINE ! Put it this way.... If it doesn't have enough power to run the machine, It won't run. won't even boot.

yeah i have it installed now .. just put it in maybe an hour ago and running fine so far :)

yeah that's what im thinking .. kinda wish i had used that extra $50 to order a set of X530's from newegg but oh well never hurts to have a spare like you said lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom