Problem with compressed files

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwright

Solid State Member
Hello all,
I've just received a new PC (Windows XP Home SP2) and there's a really annoying problem.

After installing a game I found that its directories are working as Zip archives. That is, if in Windows Explorer I click on a zip file, Windows automatically extracts and displays the files and sub-directories. Double-clicking the file does not open Winzip as it should. I think this feature is causing part of the game (Far Cry) to fail.

I realise that this is a standard Windows feature and in some circumstances is desirable, but in this case I need to disable it. If I click on a zip file nothing should happen except to select the file (i.e. the same as for any other files). If I double-click the file it should open Winzip.

The Windows help tells you how to enable this feature - but as far as I can see it doesn't tell you how to turn it off, if it's possible.

So my question is this: how can I disable this feature or, alternatively, how can I configure Windows to stop it if I re-install the game?

Many thanks.

Best regards,
Chris

Try uninstalling Winzip and then reinstall it but dont let it scan your pc for files and it shouldnt zip them up unless you add them yourself unless you let it scan upon installing

Monster,
thanks for the suggestion. Winzip didn't appear in Windows uninstall. I deleted all the Winzip files, except for two .dll files that I couldn't delete and rebooted Windows. Still the same basic problem. I think maybe Windows XP has an unzip function built in and doesn't need Winzip to be present.

If I click on a zip file, Windows still unzips it and displays the contents. What I want to know is how to stop it from doing this.

Best regards,
Chris

just instal winrar. theres a freeware version out there, its got tighter file compression and can unpack zip/rar/tag/gz/bz. ill also edit this post with howto change the xp file asso :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried disassociating with winzip and I even removed winzip, except for two dll files I couldn't delete.

I don't think the problem is with winzip. The problem is with Windows. Windows XP has this zip compression feature built-in. What I really, really, really want to know is how to tell Windows to stop doing it! In other words, I want zip files to behave like any other files. If I click on a zip file it should just be selected and Windows should not extract everything inside it. If I double-click it then Winzip should open and I can then choose to extract files in the normal way.

Best regards,
Chris

Try right clicking the file, and see if there is a button that says "open with". If there is, click it and select winzip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom