Program To Force CD Rom Boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

momo_izzy

Beta member
Hi all, I'm having a hard time booting from CD ROM on an older machine. I remember once I having this problem, Google led me to a program that I put on a bootable floppy, which would divert a floppy bootup to the CD ROM. I can't remember for the life of me what the name was or where I found it, but I'm desperately hoping someone can help me with. Thanks in advance.

momo_izzy said:
Hi all, I'm having a hard time booting from CD ROM on an older machine. I remember once I having this problem, Google led me to a program that I put on a bootable floppy, which would divert a floppy bootup to the CD ROM. I can't remember for the life of me what the name was or where I found it, but I'm desperately hoping someone can help me with. Thanks in advance.

Go into your BIOS and tell it to boot from the CD-ROM. :rolleyes:

Hi all. Well I realize the best way to troubleshoot is to suggest the obvious, but really I wouldn't be posting unless I tried those.

I have:

1) Made sure the CD ROM is a master device
2) I've used a different IDE cable
3) I've set the boot sequence properly
4) Checked the CD ROM jumpers
5) I've tested the CD and it is bootable on other systems
6) I've checked the CD ROM in another computer and it works

So now that we have those out of the way, we go back to the original question. There IS a program that you put on a bootable floppy disk that will differ the boot sequence to the floppy, I've used it before but I can't find it now. Rather than trouble shooting tips on the boot sequence I would really appreciate information on said program from anyone that knows about it. Thanks =)

Re: Re: Program To Force CD Rom Boot?

ShoobieRat said:

Go into your BIOS and tell it to boot from the CD-ROM. :rolleyes:

I have had PC'S that cannot boot from CD's before, they exist.

momo_izzy said:
Hi all. Well I realize the best way to troubleshoot is to suggest the obvious, but really I wouldn't be posting unless I tried those.

I have:

So now that we have those out of the way, we go back to the original question. There IS a program that you put on a bootable floppy disk that will differ the boot sequence to the floppy, I've used it before but I can't find it now. Rather than trouble shooting tips on the boot sequence I would really appreciate information on said program from anyone that knows about it. Thanks =)
You could go to bootdisk.com download a windows98 bootdisk and run with cd-rom support, then type ?:\setup. ? being the drive letter

LeonTheSane said:
You could go to bootdisk.com download a windows98 bootdisk and run with cd-rom support, then type ?:\setup. ? being the drive letter

You can not run WinXP setup from MS DOS mode, it has to boot directly from CD which has a microsoft pre install OS on it which guides the installation.

The only real solution is that program I keep mentioning.

While I do appreciate the input and suggestions, I'm fairly confident the only thing that will solve this problem is the boot floppy differing the boot sequence to CDROM, I'm sure someone here will know what I'm talking about sooner or later!

I know what your talking about :D and I've gone through the same problems. This might not be the exact utility you had in mind, but it's the official release from Microsoft. Make sure you have enough floppies on hand.

WinXP Pro:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...db-5039-4955-bcb7-4fed408ea73f&displaylang=en

WinXP Home:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...68-6e4f-471c-b455-bd5afee126d8&displaylang=en

Here's one I found on majorgeeks:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Windows_XP_Pro_Startup_Disk_d1040.html

Hope this helps.

~Kubel

momo_izzy said:

I have:

If your having trouble getting a CD to boot, the solution is not making your floppy drive force it. You've got a problem and should fix that, first.

if you have a 2nd hard drive you can copy the windows i386 folder from the xp cd or something. Then make a 98 boot up disk so you can get into ms dos on bootup then type your 2nd hard drive d: etc and go into the i386 folder and type winntsetup or use DIR to find the install file and it`ll install windows xp.

Although its been awhile since iv used that method lol so might what to check it before u try :). My old pc couldnt boot from cd so i had to install xp that way and at the time i was too lazy to get 6 floppy disks! to use microsofts bootup.

You can also use usb to install windows apprently but dont no how :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom