No AGP 6800GTs ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually, eVGA is one of the best card makers for nVidia..especially the 6xxx's series, but i see they are currently out of stock.

as for XFX, they've come a long way..and have been making great strides w/ their recent cards..

i've heard some good, some not so good reviews about them, but overall, pretty much ALL 6800GT cards run great..

the only advantage the XFX card has over the eVGA is that it supports dual DVI connections..which for some ppl is terrific, others could care less.

if i were you, i'd pick the more affordable one...but i don't think you'd go wrong w/ either of those two cards.

good luck.

Okay, so I'm really on the fence here... Should I shell out the 300 bones for a 6800 GT or should I wait and build a system from scratch? Will the 6800GT hold me over for at least a year or two? I'd hate to drop that much loot and then want to upgrade again... Looking for the cheapest / longest lasting solution. Thanks!

well, it's pretty much what your feelings are about spending the cash now...cuz honestly, you could be waiting....forever, cuz at every turn, there's always going to be something better, faster, cheaper than what you want now...

i've built my last system last x-mas time, it's AGP and i'd hope to make it last for me for another year or so...i'm not quite ready to jump on the PCI-E bandwagon just yet...AGP still will be around for quite sometime yet.

if you were to get a 6800GT now, you'd still be able to use it for a long time...i wouldn't worry about that...and since the 7800's came out, the prices for those cards are much more attainable.

so the question is............want to spend $300 now....and continue playing?

or

spend much more for a more future proof system in the long run?

it's about instant gratification, or slowly saving up.....only you can answer that, bro.

The 6800GT is a good card, and like much of todays newer technology, it's aging fast. I mean it only has 16 pipelines, and the new 7800GTX has 24. Like EdoKoi said, you could search forever to find that extra special deal, or wait a few months for next gen cards which will be outdated by next years cards.

The decision comes down to you. Personally if you have $300 to spend on a graphics card, then I'd save up and go full blown for the 7800GTX and then that card will last you at least 2 years, possibly 4 (depending on how technology advances).

if he wants to save up for a 7800GTX then he will have to save up around 1500-2000 dollars for a full blown future proof system.

Not all in one go, I mean he could get the graphics card now, then buy bit by bit. I know by the time he has a future proof system, it is no longer future proof, but the 7800GTX (in my opinion is not going to age quickly) unlike the mid-card range has (especially with the introduction of PCI-E).

why would he buy a 7800GTX if he cant use it?

9600XT, LOL! well i should be laughing at my 9800pro too

the deceived said:
Personally if you have $300 to spend on a graphics card, then I'd save up and go full blown for the 7800GTX and then that card will last you at least 2 years, possibly 4 (depending on how technology advances).

yes, but unfortunately if he got the 7800GTX, then you're looking at $500...then a new mobo=$100+, and a new CPU=$150+....so if he doesn't have $750 for the upgrade now...then just go w/ the 6800GT.

you're rig is quite capable now. even better if you add a newer card.

you can prolly salvage the rest of your current system if/when u decide to go PCI-E.

Ooops sorry! I didn't realise he was after an AGP card! Apologies about that! Then the 6800GT would be your best bet (other than a 6800 Ultra).

Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom