What chip to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

um4r

Solid State Member
Ok I'm new here..seems like a nice busy forum. I'm a newb at this kinda' stuff, although I know basics like how to install and put hardware in.

Ok so recently I bought off Ebay a firewire card for my camcorder.

Now I want to increase the speed and performance of my computer.

At the moment it is a 1.19GHZ...AMD Athlon Processor
512 RAM

I'm a student so always look for the cheapest stuff and recently I realised Ebay is real good for computer parts and was interested in ordering something.

Basically I want to boost the performance of my computer by say a notch or two. Can anyone recommend some kind of chip that I could search for on ebay which would take my computer a notch up?

Thnx guys

im not sure about buying CPU parts off ebay probably not the best idea :S how much money would you be willing to spend? you could upgrade your motherboard CPU and memory for a cheap price that would be better than the AMD althlon you have.

Well I'm really looking for cheapest possible coz I'm saving up to go to Italy in the coming weeks!...Ahhh student life!..ahha

Umm I don't know but I don't want to spend over £100...no way...lol.

On Ebay there are loads of parts here and there for like on bids, usually chips and stuff for around 15-20 quid!

lol i wouldnt buy a CPU for 15 or 20 quid!! i presume your motherboard is socket A that limits your choice. id upgrade your memory but u`ll need to make sure its compatible with your motherboard. But for £100 you could get:

GeIL 512MB (2x256MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5 (GE5123200BHDC) (MY-004-GL)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3000BPBOX) (CP-117-AM)
Abit UL8 ULi M1689 (Socket 939) Motherboard (MB-079-AB)

for £160

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Athlon_64_Bundles.html

its the top bundle on the webpage.

i no its over your £100 but its a good deal and will last longer than what you presently have and upgradable. But then again im sure someone else on here can offer better buying options.

Field Value
Motherboard ID 62-1215-001131-00101111-040201-SiS735$K7S5A_K7S5A Release 12/15/2001 S

I think you should listen to baronvongogo. For £160 you can have a nice Amd 64 bundle. Thing is problably 4x as fast as what you have now.

You can run up to 266 MHz FSB CPU.

You might want to look at Athlon XP mobile processors. That's what Nubius is running in his rig (overclocked out the wazoo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom