fan not spinning

Status
Not open for further replies.

teedubb

Beta member
i have a 1100 megahertz AMD Athlon processor running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) that i inherited. the thermaltake fan didnt spin we i received it so it would constantly overheat. i then replaced the fan but it still did not spin on boot-up.

here is what is tricky. if i give the fan a little nudge it will begin to spin and the computer runs just fine. on boot-up i notice the fan trying to spin up but it seems that it lacks the power to spin, it just sits there and twitches. i updated the bios thinking that might be the problem but that didnt fix the problem.

does anyone know how i might solve this problem?

Did the fan come with your heatsink. If not, i would just go buy a new fan. Panaflow high out is a pretty good fan.

or you may have a power supply issue, sounds like youve tried 2 fans already...what are your specs including power supply?

thanks for the response Vader.

I have a feeling that it might be the power supply as well. I left work and wont be back there until tomorrow morning so i cant give you those specs until tomorrow.

the fan that i replaced was the oem that came with the computer so it should have no problems spinning that fan.

i dont see any markings on the power supply, how would i be able to get the specs of the power supply without taking it apart?

There should be a label on the power supply there has to be its a federal regulation. You may have to pull the PSU out to look on the other side. I don't think there is a way of pulling the specs from a power supply without that label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom