They say linux is not to blame

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzimm86

In Runtime
Alright so here is the deal. Today i got home from work and was going to burn a cd in Windows Xp Pro. I put the cd in the drive, went into nero, did what i had to do then i clicked burn and it asked me where i wanted to save the file. I thought this was odd since it never asked me to do this before. So i further researched, went into my computer. Hey no cd drives. Im like ok well i will go check out the device manager. Well there you go there is a problem with my drives. So i reinstall the drivers, go to windows update and nothing works. I then go into event viewer and find an error of
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Cdrom
Event id: 7026 Source: service control manager
So i go to www.eventid.net and check out what the deal is and it tells me to go into bios and turn on my caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock, then reset my bios and then start up windows. well first of all how would this fix anything, caps lock being turned on ooook. well this didnt work either.

Then I remember a few days back i just recently installed linux on an extra 40 gig partition i had that was not being used. so i went into linux and hey my drives work just fine.

So here is my question. Why do my cdrom drives work in linux and not in windows.

I put this in the linux forum but they say its not fault of linux so i bring my problem here.
my post in the linux sectin if you want to read what they had to say
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69990

you have a virtual burner that actually saves an image on the hard drive. go to options, and change from "image writer" or whatever it is called, to your actual burner.

No the problem is not with the software and yes i know i was burning an image. The problem is my computer can not load my drives. It has nothing to do with the burning of a cd. I can not even explore a cd through windows explorer. The cd drives are not displayed in "my computer" and in the devide manager my dvd-rw, my dvd-rom drive and another device called cdrom are all listed, even though i only have two drives. They also the yellow exlimation point on them like in the picture below but for my cd drives.

Attachments

• devman2.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 27
Ah . . . I had a similar problem not too long ago, though for a different reason. Have you tried (in Device Manager) right-clicking the drive, uninstalling it, and then doing the add new hardware routine?

bah so simple it just might work! haha, if linux can see it then there definitly there. As to why it didnt work thats strange. If linux was installed on a diffrent partition then nothing should have messed with your windows FS. Strange, Now Im interested, Ill google for a while cuz I cant sleep and maybe shed some light on this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom