Ok Noob here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupaSportS-10

Solid State Member
1) How is a good way to keep my computer running smooth and fast?

2) What are some maintenace i should keep up on?

3) What are cookies? Are they good or bad? What do they stand for exactly?

4) My CD-Rom does not read my game CD's or any kind of CD's at all. I thought it could be that the lens was dirty.So i bought a memorex cleaning disk. It didnt even read that. So i took it to bestbuy to have it checked out since i have warrenty on it. They said they are going to replace the CD rom. So they did and it still dont read the disks. WTF is going on? What should i do?

I'll leave it with those questions and hopefully get some good answers. Well atleast they are answers.

1. Using Anti virus protection, don't use IE, download and use Firefox, Download and use Adware SE personnel also spybot search and destroy also spywareblaster.
use disk clean up and disk defragmenter often.

2.pretty much the same as one, but you could also clean case of dust with an air can every once and a while.
Also delete all files u don't need anymore.

3.Cookies are simple stored data about your online activity so websites u visit often load faster, they aren't bad but disk clean up should clean them up for u if u run it.

4. Try a differen't IDE ribbion cable, your IDE controller could be bad, you could have a DMA/IRQ/I/O conflict with another device and CD-rom.

to test the CDrom, do you have a bootable CD? ie, windows XP install cd... if you do, then put that in to see if it's OS or hardware related. There is a chance that the OS is having a problem. If it boots with the CD then you will know it's OS related. If not, then it's something on the hardware. Check the IDE cable and the jumpers for correct setup. is it the only device on the IDE channel or is there something else. is the other working?

Good luck

Ste said:
4. Try a differen't IDE ribbion cable, your IDE controller could be bad, you could have a DMA/IRQ/I/O conflict with another device and CD-rom.

Ok put that in dumbass terms for me.

The IDE ribbion cable is the Telephone cable X 10 thing that connects to the mother board and the hardware? Right?

DMA/IRQ/I/O ...D stand for? M stand for? A stands for? lol

IF it does conflict with another device should it pop up and say it?

IDE ribbon calbe is a 40/80wire flat (ribbon) cable that is connected to the CDrom then to the mother board.
where it connected on the motherboard is the controller interface. You should see 2 that are the same possibly more and one that is smaller, for the floppy. The two that are the same are IDE.

DMA: Direct Memory Access/Addressing
IRQ: Interrupt ReQuest

to find conflicts, you can run msinfo32.exe and then look under hardware resources\conflicts and then under Compnents\problem devices.

Should tell you there. If you can, try what I posted above. should help us figure it out.

Ste said:
well u wouldn't really know where to look for an IRQ conflict but anyways

computer wouldn't say it.

Look right here:

Right-Click MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES.

Select the HARDWARE tab, and DEVICE MANAGER.

Go to VIEW, select RESOURCES BY CONNECTION, expand INTERRUPT REQUEST.

This will show you a complete list of all the IRQs in use. If you see more than 2 devices on the same number, you might have an IRQ conflict.

Warez Monster said:
Look right here:

This will show you a complete list of all the IRQs in use. If you see more than 2 devices on the same number, you might have an IRQ conflict.
Ok i did all that step by step. It came out to be.

(PCI)20 Nvidia nForce Audio Codec Interface
(PCI)20 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

And a couple more.

How do i do like take a picture or screen shot where u can see exactly what i see on my monitor?

Warez Monster said:
Look right here:

Oh I know that, I thought he ment like a pop up warning message like an error he wouldn't know to go there thats what Im saying.

SupaSportS-10 said:
Ok i did all that step by step. It came out to be.

(PCI)20 Nvidia nForce Audio Codec Interface
(PCI)20 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

And a couple more.

How do i do like take a picture or screen shot where u can see exactly what i see on my monitor?

hit prt scr sys rw, save it, then upload it to a picture hosting server, then copy the url in the IMG and post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom