Poll: Maxtor, Western Digital or Seagate HDD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikenk

Baseband Member
Hi all,

Lately I've noticed that Seagate seems to be making a comeback in the retail market. Not too long ago, you could walk into any computer-chain type store and your only choices were Maxtor, Western Digital or the in-house brand (CompUSA).

I've always leaned towards the Western Digital drives. I know that Seagate had a great reputation, but is it still continued today?

So what you y'all think. Maxtor, Western Digital or Seagate?

Western Digital (religiously)

I have had nothing but bad times with Maxtors.

However, If fujitsu was still making HDDs i'd go with them.

I use both Wester Digital and Maxtor, but i also have an IBM HD that works fine.

i've heard maxtor are unreliable, but my experience is that they are roughly same reliablity as WD and they have ata133. WD has nothing with ATA133, neither does seagate although both do have SATA. if i needed absolute reliabilty i would choose seagate over WD any day. they are silent and same speed (maybe faster).

WD reliabilty is overhyped i think. and so is maxtor un-reliabilty. people who say this are probably dealing with older drives less than 120GB 8MB cache

Ek, i hope you were kidding about the older drives there... and ADZ, Fujitsu? Have you seen the recalls they are doing and the suits they have pending still?

Personally I use Seagate when ever possible. I have only had one failure of the 12 identical drives I have and that was my own fault (droped it on concrete). I have used IBM, Maxtor, and WD. The only thing about Maxtor that I likes was their no questions asked warrenty service. That has changed as of a few years ago, but still pretty cool. WD was good, but I think they have let their standards slip a little over the past year or so... But that is my opinion. One thing that has always stuck out to me is that Seagate seems to be the choice for Server level Drives for most machines around my place of work. (Aside from the Compaq ones that appear in the new servers)...

My 2 cents

Ive used maxitor seagate and wd and personally I think that the WD and the maxitor were close enough that there wasent really any difference however I have had a seagate that I had to replace as it wasent good at all

I have used Seagates, WD and Maxtor and the only one I ever had problems out of was the Seagate... granted this was in a compaq.

When I buy a new hardrive I pick based on price and extras between Maxtor and WD.

I recently bought a maxtor 120GB ata100 drive. The first thing i noticed was how noisy it was, thats the only thing ive disliked about the maxtor drives.

That's the one thing about Maxtor drives that I never liked: Noise. I've had two Maxtor drives and they both sounded like empty tin cans clanging around :>)

That's the only way I can think of the describe their noise.

Viken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom